An experienced professional with excellent management and communication skills.
Member of the Darwin High School Independent Board (More
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills. ;
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- In depth knowledge of government processes. ;
- In depth knowledge of public service processes. ;
- Able to discuss and negotiate complex agreements. ;
- Create and maintain a harmonious office environment that works efficiently to achieve targets within time and budget framework.
- Excellent communication skills and abilities to build and maintain relationships at various levels.
- Excellent ability to fit in various cultural environments.
- Excellent public speaker. ;
- Excellent ability to promote my organisation to the wider public and to specific groups.
- Able to identify opportunities and implement necessary changes to the organisation to benefit from these opportunities
I was employed by Leukaemia Foundation as the Regional Manager NT. At the time the Leukaemia Foundation office in Darwin consisted of 1 fundraising and 1 support services person. The role of the office was mainly to support the South Australian office by fundraising during a number of campaigns with the money been transferred to the central account to support Leukaemia Foundation activities on a national and regional level. Following my employment another person was employed to support fundraising efforts and a new Support Services person was employed, with appropriate nursing qualification, to provide appropriate support to people with blood cancers in the NT. My employment provided the organisation with new directions and opportunities as I utilised my local knowledge and contacts to seek changes in service provision by the public health system in the NT. As a result, a number of changes in service provision to people with blood cancers have now been introduced and negotiations with the government for the provision of land for blood cancer patients' accommodation at RDH have been successful, currently awaiting the lease agreement. In addition Leukaemia Foundation NT and the services it provides are now widely recognised and this is reflected in the increase of funds raised during our recent fundraising campaigns in which we have exceeded our projected budgets. OTHER SKILLS I have .More
Member of the Darwin Symphony Orchestra Board of DirectorsMore
- Oversee and implement government policy and ensure efficient operatin of Government Departments in my repsonsibility.
- Put in place the China Japan investment attraction strategy Negotiated Federal government funding for a Medical School in Darwin and the construction of the Med-hotel at the RDH campus. Awarded a contract to a private operator to construct and operate a renal dialysis clinic in Alice Springs and increase the number of renal dialysis chairs in Central Australia. Fast tracked upgrades to RDH Emergency Department and Maternity Ward and upgrades to the Alice Springs Emergency Department. Negotiated a co-operation and training agreement between RDH and the Sanglah Hospital in Bali.
Retired from the NT Legislative Assembly in September 2014 after 13 years as the Member fro Casuarina and since April 2015 I have been employed as the Regional Manager NT with Leukaemia Foundation.More
Vice Patron of the NT Surf Life Saving organisation (More
- Elected for 4 terms to represent the electorate of Casuarina for Essential Services introduced legislation to the NT Legislative Assembly to transform Power and Water from a public utility to a corporation operating in a market environment.
- As the Minister for Tourism negotiated with Para-Olympics Australia for para-Olympians to use the Arafura Games as qualifier games for the Para-Olympic.]
- Putting in place the China Japan investment attraction strategy with astounding results.
- Negotiating with the Federal government and getting funding for:
- The establishment of a Medical School in Darwin ;
- The construction of the Med-hotel at the RDH campus ;
- Awarding the contract to the Flinders-CDU consortium to operate the Darwin super clinic.
- Award a contract to a private operator to construct an operate a renal dialysis clinic in Alice Springs and increase the number of renal dialysis chairs in Central Australia.
- Negotiating an agreement with the WA Government for the treatment of WA patients at renal dialysis clinics in Central Australia.
- Fast tracking upgrades to Royal Darwin Hospital Emergency Department and Maternity Ward.
- Upgrade of the Alice Springs Emergency Department. ;
- Negotiating a co-operation and training agreement between RDH and the Sanglah Hospital in Bali.
- Terminating an aeromedical med-evacuation service that did not serve the NT population anymore and negotiate a new contract with a new operator.
POST-POLITICS After a 6 months break I decided that retirement was not for me and I looked for employment specifically locally and for a non-government /community organisation.More
Elected to the Legislative Assembly of the NT representing the constituents of the seat of Casuarina, currently for the 4th term.More
I served as a Minister in a variety of portfolios including: Lands and planning Multicultural Affairs Environment Tourism Power and Water Health Child Protection Primary Industries and Fisheries Mines and Energy.More
Danila Dilba (Indigenous) Medical Services. Responsible for the operations of the clinic and the HR management of a group of 12 doctors and equal number of health workers. The clinic provided medical services to the Darwin indigenous population both in house and via a mobile clinic.More
I enlisted in the Royal Australian Air Force where I served as a reservist with the ranks of Flying Officer and Flight Lieutenant working in the Medical Wing with responsibility for public/ environmental health issues and occupational health and safety. I resigned for the RAAF due to my election to the NT Legislative Assembly.More
Environmental Health, Department of Health, Northern Territory. As a team leader of 6 Environmental Health Officers I was responsible for public and environmental health management of the greater Darwin region.More
City of Wanneroo, Western Australia leading a team of 5 Environmental Health Officer undertaking all duties related to public health, commercial and residential construction approvals and inspections, noise surveys and other duties related to public and environmental health.More
I served in the Hellenic Air Force and trained in the field of ammunition.More
Education and Qualifications
|2016||Diploma - Language||Diploma||Charles Darwin University||No|
|1999||Masters - Public Health||Other||Curtin University||No|
|1997||Certificate in Public Sector Management||Other||Flinders University||No|
|1983||Diploma - Civil Engineering||Diploma||Centre of Tertiary Technical Education||No|
|1978||Diploma - Public Health||Diploma||Centre of Tertiary Technical Education||No|
|-||Other||the Petroupolis High School||No|
|-||Other||Western Australian Institute of technology||No|
Tickets, Permits and Licences
|1986||Accredited Translator Greek-English-Greek||NAATI||No|
- MS Word (Advanced)
- MS Publisher (Advanced)
- Excell (Advanced)