Who we are:
WSP is one of the world’s leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We are dedicated to our local communities and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors including engineers, technicians, scientists, planners, surveyors, environmental specialists, as well as other design, program and construction management professionals. With approximately 5,500 talented people in more than 50 offices across Australia and New Zealand, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come. If you wish know to whether you will like working with WSP and align with its Culture and Values, please visit our website: wsp.com
Due to anticipated growth, we are currently looking to engage a Design Manager to join us in Australia with flexibility on location/office. The opportunity exists for a motivated, established professional to support our Defence Sector by connecting people across WSP. The primary focus of the role will be to help promote the WSP brand through a standardised approach to business development and project delivery.
Your new colleagues:
Our large, inclusive and dynamic 900+ person Property and Buildings group, is industry-leading on a national scale with many long-tenure, key employees who have developed excellent relationships with highly sought-after clients. As such, a great work environment affording industry’s first-pick projects has been curated over the years and only continues to grow stronger every year. Our presence in the Defence sector is increasingly exponentially and the new team member will work primarily with P&B on projects across the country.
A typical day for you:
- Support the Client Director - Department of Defence in the performance of their role;
- Establish close working relationships with clients/external stakeholders, such as Defence, Managing Contractors (MCs), architects, other designers and project managers;
- Develop and maintain respect in industry for WSP capacity and expertise in the design delivery of Defence projects;
- Increase WSP market revenue for Defence;
- Establish strong and effective working relationships and network with WSP Defence Regional Leaders and design teams;
- Mentor and develop Regional Project Management (PM)/Design Directors and Lead on client engagement and relationships.
- Lead teams in bid writing, fee calculation and go-no go and bid-no bid analysis of near and far opportunities;
- Regularly conduct reviews and approvals of PMCA/Design submissions;
- Manage resourcing of PM and design opportunities in each region pertaining to Defence market;
- Monitor design project performance, including undertaking project reviews at key project milestones;
- Coordinate and manage effective resolution of commercial and contractual matters related to Defence design opportunities;
- Lead the development of a Defence engineering team proficient in Defence design consisting of suitably motivated people who will contribute to supporting the Defence leadership team through strong working relationships with working units and offices;
- Facilitate monthly teleconferences with the PM/design team;
- Contribute to promoting WSP technical brand;
- Provide leadership in connecting the technical professionals across the business associated with the Defence Services community;
- Encourage people keep their CVs on the skills database updated and formatted to the Defence proforma, and;
- Actively contribute to major project reviews.
What we'll love about you:
- Proven Defence PM/design engineering delivery portfolio knowledge and experience;
- Well-developed existing Defence client/key decision-maker relationships and reputation for curating quality client experience;
- Healthy track record and experience in winning and successfully delivering Defence projects;
- High-level of visibility, market presence and track record of generating a regular inflow of projects with favourable financial metrics (win-rate, revenue and margin) in the Defence sector;
- Strong client-facing experience, commercial acumen and understanding of value;
- Enthusiasm and commitment to communicate and encourage and facilitate effective teamwork across WSP to support the Defence design portfolio;
- Strategic thinker and leader with the ability to coach, mentor and motivate teams to drive superior client and business outcomes;
- Sound leadership capability, collaborative approach and sharing behavior;
- Results-focused, disciplined, self-starter and motivated, organised and willingness to take accountability for outcomes;
- Exemplary communication, interpersonal, influencing and negotiating skills, and;
- Proficiency in business computing.
We value your employee experience:
At WSP we provide a diverse and inclusive work environment and offer many personal and professional development opportunities that are aimed to help you deliver your best self to the role whilst managing your personal life in balance. Some of the many benefits we offer our employees include:
- Flexible working hours and working from home;
- Global mobility;
- Parental leave and purchased additional annual leave;
- Corporate employee discounts and offers;
- Salary continuance insurance;
- Wellness at work and social club;
- Workplace giving/volunteering;
- Employee reward and recognition program, and;
- Professional and technical development opportunities.
Confirm your interest by sending through your confidential application today. Alternatively, contact Damien Monahan via 03 8327 8621 or Damien.Monahan@wsp.com to arrange a confidential discussion.
WSP supports a diverse and inclusive work environment as well as equal employment opportunities. We encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and people of culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please note we will not be engaging the services of recruitment agencies for this role.