With approximately 55,000 talented people globally and 6,400 across more than 50 offices in Australia and New Zealand, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come. We are dedicated to our local communities and propelled by international brainpower.
We have recently joined forces with Golder, making WSP the Largest Environmental and Mining consulting firm globally, with over 14,000 Environment and Mining professionals. Together, we can accelerate our global Environmental, Social & Governance vision, and make an impact on our built and natural environment.
Early in 2022 we were recognised by Verdantix as the most sustainable company in the engineering industry and a leading ESG and Sustainability Consulting Firm (Verdantix Benchmark Reveals Four Leaders In ESG & Sustainability Consulting).
WSP and Golder coming together has strengthened our capability and is enabling like-minded professionals to collaborate more easily; better leveraging technology and accessing a broader client base.
As a result of this growth, we are currently searching for a Principal Rock Mechanics Engineer to join our global mining business. This is a full-time position based in our Brisbane office, alternate locations will be considered as a part of our flexibility.
This role is part of a global rock engineering team focused on building and delivering work to our mining clients within Australia and internationally with the support of the wider global team.
What you will do
- Leading and managing delivery of open pit and underground mine geotechnical services projects;
- Overseeing all aspects of the project lifecycle (proposal, contract, scope of work, technical quality and senior review) and consulting with appropriate peers;
- Delivering technically appropriate and cost-effective solutions to clients which meet time, budget, quality and safety requirements;
- Statistical analyses and interpretation of drill and laboratory data to characterise material properties for use in geotechnical design;
- Identification and management of geotechnical hazards;
- Stability analyses and material characterization;
- Review and assess designs in 3D modelling packages, ideally Vulcan or Leapfrog experience preferred;
- Liaise with a range of key internal and external stakeholders on geological and geotechnical aspects of projects; and
- Actively mentoring and coaching of junior staff across the business in the interests of their long-term career objectives
What we will love about you
- Bachelor degree or similar in engineering or science and a postgraduate qualification in rock mechanics or geotechnical engineering, as well as a Registered Professional Engineer or Member of a related professional body will be advantageous
- Around 15+ years of industry related experience
- Fantastic analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to build relationships with client
- Experience with Rocscience software suite; and
- Demonstrable experience in development of geotechnical models.
Some of the many benefits we offer our employees include:
- Flexible working hours and working from home
- Global mobility
- Parental leave & purchased additional annual leave
- Corporate employee discounts and offers
- Salary continuance insurance
- Wellness at work & social club
- Workplace giving /volunteering
- Employee reward & recognition program
- Professional and technical development opportunities
Inspired by Diversity, Driven by Inclusion…….
Discover a forward-thinking culture that incorporates some conventional yet non-negotiable qualities—like respect, integrity and trust. We welcome to the table all perspectives, strengths, skills, creeds and genders because we know that diverse ideas breed extraordinary results.
WSP supports a diverse and inclusive work environment as well as equal employment opportunities. We encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and people of culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
If you want to have a confidential conversation about the role feel free to get in touch with Jeremy Olaivar on +61 404 447 410 or at Jeremy.Olaivar@wsp.com
Please note we will not be engaging the services of recruitment agencies for this role.