WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms, bringing together approximately 5,500 talented people across more than 50 offices in Australia and New Zealand. We are technical experts who design and provide strategic advice on sustainable solutions, engineering projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come. To find out more about working at WSP, our culture and values, please visit our website www.wsp.com.
WSP Digital’s software engineering division are global innovators and leaders in the integrated development and use of software to enhance our customer’s engineering, infrastructure, building, and environmental projects.
We are looking to grow our Melbourne team and hire a dedicated Frontend Engineer with strong UX and design experience.
You will be responsible for the design and implementation of novel user interfaces across a wide variety of projects. Some examples of the design challenges you’ll face include:
- Data visualisation for smart cities
- Specialist user interfaces for road network management
- Public mapping and visualisation tools for community engagement on major infrastructure projects
- Accessible online forms for use by vulnerable communities
You will plan, implement and continuously seek to enhance user interface design solutions for web and mobile based software applications, while keeping up to date with the latest UX best practices.
Day to day, you will:
- Work directly with clients and our business analysis team to understand user and project requirements
- Design intuitive interfaces and leverage user feedback in an iterative, agile development process
- Define style guides and develop consistent design languages for projects
- Prepare and present conceptual designs to your clients across a wide range of complex products and industries
- Work autonomously to develop designs into functional proof of concepts
- Work as part of a team to implement your designs using modern web frontend development best practices
- Perform design QA after development to ensure the finished product matches the designs
- Project manage your own workflow to achieve exceptional outcomes on time/budget
- Drive yourself to learn and grow, so we can achieve our goals as a business and create an abundance of opportunities
This is an amazing opportunity to work on major projects across Australia and globally, and positively impact lives in the community. You will also have the chance to work with some of the brightest subject matter experts in the fields of engineering, climate change and resilience, urban planning and more.
Some of the key projects we’ve recently completed:
- Newcastle City Intelligent Platform – a smart data brokerage and visualisation platform designed to make smart city data available to all staff within Newcastle City Council
- Online Forms for the NSW Department of Communities and Justice – we design, implement and support a range of complex forms used by applicants for community housing in NSW
- Melbourne Liveability Monitor – as part of the Melbourne Metro Tunnel project, we designed and built a sensor integration platform which receives, aggregates and analyses data from hundreds of sound, vibration, and air quality sensors. For more information, see our technical presentation from PyCon AU 2019: here >
- MyRo for VicRoads – we designed and implemented a fully automated, online system that provides real time and credible traffic information during construction works through the use of portable road-side devices
What we'll love about you
You have a creative flair for visual design, experience in frontend web development, and a passion for human-centered design. We’re happy to consider someone in the early stages of their professional career with a relevant degree as well as someone with practical experience looking to advance their technical capabilities. A portfolio of recent work will be highly regarded.
You will also bring:
- Ability to create storyboards, wireframes and high-fidelity designs
- Human-Computer Interaction tools and techniques
- Familiarity with some of our own tech stack (some Python/Django experience is a plus)
- Strong team working capabilities
- Experience managing multiple clients and projects will be highly regarded
- A positive can-do attitude, a passion for learning and up-to-date technology
- Degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, related field or equivalent practical experience
What we will offer you
At WSP we provide a diverse and inclusive work environment and offer many personal and professional development opportunities that are aimed to help you deliver your best self to the role whilst managing your personal life in balance. We have been recognised for the second consecutive year as a Great Place to Work® with year-on-year increases in employee engagement.
Some of the many benefits we offer our employees include:
- Flexible working hours and working from home
- Global mobility
- Parental leave and purchased additional annual leave
- Corporate employee discounts and offers
- Salary continuance insurance
- Wellness at work & social club
- Workplace giving /volunteering
- Employee reward & recognition program
- Professional and technical development opportunities