We focus on being fun, supportive, collaborative and forward thinking people at Jemena.
Jemena is an Australian energy company who own and operate more than $11.5 Billion worth of gas and electricity transportation assets across Australia supplying millions of households and businesses with these essential services every day.
At Jemena, we are focused on enabling our people to reach their potential, be their true selves and enjoy working in an inclusive environment with a community focus. Prioritising our employees’ wellbeing, equal opportunities and empowering a fully diverse and fulfilled workforce is key; we pride ourselves on meeting our employee’s expectations.
Our people are our greatest asset so having various flexible working options, remote working, paid parental (primary & partner) leave and leave purchase plans amongst many other benefits, is a key foundation to our success. We also have an array of well-being options to support our people. We are passionate about what we do, and we are proud of who we are.
Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
Jemena is an Aboriginal word meaning ‘to hear, listen and think’. We understand the value of a diverse workforce, the ability to work from home, and have committed to creating real employment opportunities through our Reconciliation Action Plan. We look forward to receiving applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
When you join Jemena, you become part of our diverse, inclusive, flexible and passionate team. We are a team that celebrates International Women’s Day, NAIDOC Week, International Day of People with Disabilities and many other days that matter to our people. Come join us!
An overview of our role and responsibilities:
The Legal Counsel, reporting to Lead Counsel – Regulated Networks, exists to provide legal services to SGSP (Australia) Assets Pty Ltd (SGSPAA) group businesses (Jemena and Zinfra).
The legal services for which this position is responsible include:
- partnering with the SGSPAA business to deliver strategic, commercial outcomes
- providing legal advice and undertaking research in relation to legal aspects of commercial, regulatory and compliance matters, as well as providing assistance with operational and strategic matters, from a legal perspective
- negotiating, drafting and providing advice in relation to SGSPAA’s corporate and commercial arrangements
- identifying legal risks in transactions and advising on appropriate mitigations
- legal project management
- assisting the SGSPAA business to manage litigation and commercial disputes
- managing the interface between external counsel and the business
- assisting with drafting and reviewing policies, procedures and reports
- contributing to broader corporate business improvement processes in connection with legal services.
Specific Specialisation Required (if any)
- the laws governing the operation and regulation of SGSPAA’s assets;
- legal issues relating to gas and electricity distribution infrastructure; and
- corporate/commercial transactional work.
The position forms part of an in-house legal function which provides legal services to the group in an efficient and cost effective manner as a business partner, and also builds and retains relevant knowledge and expertise within the group.
This Legal Counsel position is intended to operate unsupervised for business as usual (BAU) legal matters, but with the expectation that the Legal Counsel is able to identify matters/issues which are outside of their experience and skill set and consults with Lead Counsel, colleagues, and external law firms as required.
For non-BAU matters that are strategically important, including material litigation and other major projects that require Board approval the Legal Counsel will work under the supervision of Lead Counsel, as determined appropriate by Lead Counsel.
As part of Jemena’s commitment to keeping our employees safe, it is a requirement for all employees to be vaccinated against Covid-19. During our recruitment process, you will be required to undergo pre-employment checks including pre-employment medical, reference checks, national police check and provide evidence of your vaccination status.
Notice to Third Parties: Jemena does not accept unsolicited resumes (or liability associated with fees or costs) from recruitment agencies, search firms or third parties. Interested candidates are welcome to submit their application independently.