With approximately 54,000 talented people globally and 6,100 talented people based in more than 50 offices in Australia and New Zealand, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come. We are dedicated to our local communities and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisers including architects, planners, engineers, technicians, scientists, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, program and construction management professionals.
Our purpose is simple, we exist to future proof our cities and our environment.
We have recently joined forces with Golder, making WSP the largest environmental consulting firm globally, with over 14,000 environmental and geotechnical professionals. Together, we can accelerate our global Environmental, Social & Governance vision, and make an impact on our built and natural environment.
We’re currently looking for a Business Development Manager (BDM) to join our Perth office.
The role is responsible for driving the growth of our Earth & Environment (E&E) business in WA, which includes capabilities such as Contaminated Land Management, Environment Health and Safety, Geotechnical Engineering, and Geo-Environmental Engineering.
E&E services a broad range of clients and markets, including government, private developers, mining and energy. Typical projects range from technical studies through to major investigation, design and construction contracts on landmark and high-profile projects. You will be a positive, outgoing and driven individual with a passion for building business relationships and winning work through business development initiatives.
You will report to the national Clients & Growth Director and partner with regional business leaders in WA as well as the E&E Sector Leaders who set sector strategy and BD priorities at a national level.
You will be responsible for enabling a strong client focus/business development culture across offices and proactively develop business and client relationships. You will identify, prioritise and pursue opportunities and client accounts, maintain a thorough knowledge of the marketplace and competitors, and contribute to the Regional Growth Strategy.
You will work with and support our senior leaders and managers in delivering a ‘client centric seller-doer’ culture and assist with training other staff in developing similar skills.
Day to day, this role will see you:
- Build our market position, facilitate growth and revenue target achievement by locating, developing, defining, negotiating, and closing business relationships
- Act as a central ‘connector’ and champion for collaboration across E&E and the wider WSP business; ensure a coordinated approach to client interactions and activities
- Proactively seek out new business opportunities within the infrastructure, mining, defence, energy, urban development, oil & gas, and/or construction sectors
- Help to steward significant leads and opportunities through to a successful proposal, including the development of capability and panel documentation
- Assist with or drive, pursuit prioritisation and management; as well as go/no-go decision making
- Work collaboratively to engage with and support technical consulting staff in delivering a seller-doer culture
- Maintain a highly visible presence in the market by regularly attending client events
- Manage and maintain an accurate pipeline of opportunities
- Provide regular and accurate BD performance reporting
- Champion the client feedback and lessons learnt process
- Provide intelligence on market developments
- Partner with the Marketing & Communications team to build the profile of WSP in the region
- Lead and foster a proactive safety culture to ensure the safety and well-being of all staff
What we'll love about you
The successful candidate is likely to have 8+ years of experience within a professional services firm, experience with Environmental and/or Geotechnical engineering and will be a strategic thinker with a talent for relationship building and influencing.
We specifically seek someone with:
- Demonstrated business development experience and existing client relationships within the infrastructure, mining, defence, energy, urban development, oil & gas, and/or construction sectors will be highly regarded
- Experience in leading commercial negotiations and multidisciplinary pursuits/proposals for large projects
- An open mind to new perspectives; someone who is creative and innovation focused
- Strong commitment to Health & Safety
What we will offer you
At WSP we provide a diverse and inclusive work environment and offer many personal and professional development opportunities that are aimed to help you deliver your best self to the role whilst managing your personal life in balance. We have been recognised for the second consecutive year as a Great Place to Work® with year-on-year increases in employee engagement.
Some of the many benefits we offer our employees include:
- Flexible working hours and working from home
- Global mobility
- Parental leave and purchased additional annual leave
- Corporate employee discounts and offers
- Salary continuance insurance
- Wellness at work & social club
- Workplace giving /volunteering
- Employee reward & recognition program
- Professional and technical development opportunities