BG&E is an innovative, employee-owned consulting engineering business. Our team of more than 750 highly skilled people, in 15 offices across Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, the United Kingdom and Middle East, design and deliver engineering solutions for clients in the Property, Transport, Ports and Marine, Water, Renewables and Defence sectors.
BG&E New Zealand has three offices (Whangarei, Auckland, and Christchurch), and the primary focus is the building and infrastructure space.
We collaborate with leading contractors, developers, architects, planners, financiers and government agencies, to create projects that make a difference to people’s lives.
As part of the design team, you will be working in collaboration with other principal and senior level engineers (Locally, throughout New Zealand and overseas) and be responsible for delivering solutions across a wide variety of engineering projects. It is expected the candidate has, or aspires to have a level of technical excellence in structural engineering.
Depending on the experience and ambition of the candidate, the role could include project management and business development functions, as well as providing opportunities to progress over time into a more senior role within the business.
- Preparation of concept and schematic designs for a variety of building and civil structures
- Undertaking detailed analysis, design computations and running complex models and constructability reviews
- Preparation of sketches and technical reports
- Peer review of detailed calculations, technical reports, and design concepts.
- Co-ordination of designs with other project team consultants, Architects, and clients.
- Participation in internal design team meetings and in external meetings with the client and other consultants
- Visits to construction and project sites to perform site inspections and to provide observation reports and supporting engineering advice
- Guide and liaise with design teams of engineers and drafters to ensure project objectives are being achieved.
- Identifying opportunities for follow on work, developing proposals and bids on small to medium scale projects and supporting bids and proposal development on large scale projects
- Relevant engineering qualifications and be a Chartered Engineer or already working towards chartership
- At least 2 years of New Zealand experience in building design within an engineering consultancy
- Experience in Northland is a bonus, however not required
- Ability to undertake day to day Engineering tasks with little supervision.
- Fundamental understanding of NZ design standards (including seismic), general building structure design and construction techniques.
- Experience with computational software such as SpaceGass, Microstran, and Etabs
- High level of attention to detail, and experience preparing structural drawings with and without drafting assistance
- Capability to perform planning, concept and detailed design
Life at BG&E
- Flexible working arrangements aimed at achieving real work life balance (including working from home)
- Health and wellbeing support via confidential EAP program
- Competitive remuneration
- Generous leave arrangements including a paid parental leave scheme and the ability to purchase additional annual leave
- On-the-job coaching to help you be the best you can be, including leveraging BG&E’s global network of experts to help you realise your professional development goals
- Opportunities to transfer between offices
Wellbeing and Safety
BG&E provides collaborative working environments, which supports the safety and wellbeing of all employees and stakeholders. As an organisation, we strive to continually mitigate risks, and to improve our safety systems and performance.
Diversity and Inclusion
Equality is part of BG&E’s DNA. We value who you are – it begins with our values and continues through our culture – and is fostered throughout our workplaces. We recognise and celebrate difference and encourage our people and potential candidates to be comfortable in bringing your complete self to work.
BG&E is in a privileged position to apply our technical expertise to help restore balance in the natural and built environments. Our Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Committee are building on the outcomes which have been achieved by working with clients, employees, communities and suppliers, to harmoniously transition into a low-carbon economy