- Ensures Sydney Water delivers cost effective outcomes that our customers value
- Supports regional teams in executing cost effective capital projects and operational maintenance works
- Access market competitive costing across a significant capital works portfolio.
- Assist with the preparation of cost plans, tenders and budget estimates as required.
- Ensure effective implementation of Project Cost Estimation and probity processes
- Provide high quality analytical support for the preparation of project cost plans
- Conduct market data gathering and benchmarking analysis
- Genuine work / life balance
- Parramatta, Location
Sydney Water has a proud heritage and progressive future. We see the world is changing and we are changing too. The surging population of Sydney is putting pressure on our natural resources, housing and infrastructure. In just 15 years, we can expect an extra 2.71 million people and over 570,000 new homes.
To enable this growth, we are commencing one of Australia’s biggest water programs. This is being implemented through the most dynamic delivery framework of our generation - Partnering for Success (P4S).
Our infrastructure capital program has already transformed and been recognised for excellence in delivery. That evolution is continuing through P4S. Technology enabled and enhanced processes, coupled with long term partnering contracts, are building a delivery platform for the future. We are improving collaboration and integration across the value chain, promoting innovation and flexibility to achieve outcomes that our customers value.
Long term stability brings a pathway for future talent to join the team. Promoting partnerships across the value chain aims to build an environment where change and innovation can thrive, in a safe, open, inclusive and diverse workplace. Our commercial agreements are adapting to support this change. In an Australian first, Sydney Water is adopting the NEC4 form of contract. This suite of contracts brings plain English and a collaborative way of working right up front in the relationship with suppliers, contractors and consultants. Particularly for project and maintenance works, this is a new way of working and doing business for Sydney Water and the supply chain.
We are building a legacy for the future. There is no better time than now to join Sydney Water!
About the role
The P4S Cost Estimator is part of a team that sits at the heart of ensuring Sydney Water delivers cost effective outcomes that our customers value: our commercial efficiency challenge. At a more detailed level, the cost estimator ensures each regional team execute cost effective capital projects and operational maintenance works. This is achieved by providing analytical support and cost estimation services, as part of an integrated team, throughout all stages of Sydney Water’s asset delivery and operational lifecycle. The role provides high quality analytical services to the project teams for business case development, budget estimating, project cost planning and delivery tendering.
Working alongside the P4S Quantity Surveyors, the Cost Estimator maintains an up to date central source of supplier and contractor information and assist with the preparation of cost estimates and plans. The role is also accountable for delivery of services to support the implementation and maintenance of the Project Cost estimation system. Data mining and reporting through all stages of the cost estimation process is also an essential component.
A close attention to detail is required, to ensure precise and accurate costing support is provided in a professional and timely manner. With a key focus on time, cost and labour requirements for works, the role also supports the assessment and calculation of contingency costs associated with risks and opportunities. This assessment includes design development, procurement and price escalation. The P4S Cost Estimator role must also highlight potential issues with key stakeholders and the Project Managers, continually seeking practical ways to improve the quality and accuracy of cost estimation.
- Gather market information to assist with the preparation of cost plans, tenders and budget estimates
- Analyse labour and material costs as part of tender and project processes.
- Assist with post project reviews to verify accuracy of cost estimation and support improvement action
- Provide research and analytical support for benchmarking and cost comparison, including the use of first principles, past projects and other sources
- Ensure Sydney Water’s cost estimation processes are followed, and probity principles upheld
- Review tender costing associated with single source supply to identify cost comparison anomalies
- Assist with post project reviews to verify accuracy of cost estimation
- Maintain supplier and pricing schedule databases with up to date pricing
- Support ongoing development of Sydney Water’s cost estimation processes and procedures
- Provide data and analytical services in support of ongoing regulatory price determinations
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of submitting your application to be considered for this role. We want your perspective and ideas to help us find better ways to delight our customers, so we encourage you to apply no matter your age, sex or culture. You can be part of a committed, highly skilled team who’ll appreciate what you bring to the table. You’ll set and achieve real goals and make decisions that matter, as together we help shape the lifestyle of greater Sydney.
As part of the application process, Sydney Water will be collecting your personal information to assess your suitability for the role. We will also use your personal information to establish a LiveHire talent profile in our Talent Community.