Settlement Services International (SSI) is a leading community-based not-for-profit organisation providing a range of services in the areas of refugee settlement, asylum seeker assistance, housing, multicultural foster care, disability support and employment services in NSW. Our vision is to achieve a society that values the diversity of its people and actively provides support to ensure meaningful social and economic participation and to assist individuals and families reach their potential.
ABOUT COMMUNITY HUBS
The Community Hubs program is a national initiative that is jointly funded by Community Hubs Australia and the Department of Social Services. This is a community development role that links families with young children to services, support, learning opportunities and the wider community. www.communityhubs.org.au
THE PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To work collaboratively with school staff and social support services to engage families and the local community in a range of activities that build family confidence, skills and knowledge of child development, parenting and local support services. Community Hubs primarily assist migrant families including newly arrived and refugee families with preschool and primary school aged children. The Hub Leader is expected to work towards building a welcoming environment, interacting positively with all parents, children, colleagues and community members. This a part-time (25 hours per week) contract position until December 2019 with possible extension based at Yagoona Public School.
- Support / encourage parents to participate in hub, school and community activities by linking them to appropriate information, programs and services
- Organise activities, programs or events in response to family needs and interests consistent with the objectives of the National Community Hub Program
- Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with Community Hub Leaders, community members, services, funding agencies and early years’ networks operating at the local level to support the needs of families
- Create opportunities to develop community programs that build the capacity of parents / caregivers and families to participate in the development and life of the Community Hub and general community
- Develop and implement a Hub work plan in line with school priorities, contractual obligations and program outcomes; and associated administration and periodical reporting tasks, as required
Demonstrated experience working in a school setting or a community development role backed with tertiary qualifications in Education, Community Development or a related field is a pre requisite for this role. Your knowledge of early childhood and community development principles will be highly desirable. We are seeking an inspiring influencer with the ability to lead and assist parents, stakeholders, community agencies, early years’ service networks and staff in a developing community hub. Your ability to demonstrate cultural awareness, mindfulness and empathy when communicating effectively with families from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds will be the key to your success.
Please respond to the “Selection Criteria” section in your cover letter.
WHAT WE OFFER
We offer the opportunity to engage in meaningful work that makes a real difference to the lives of our clients, their families, carers, and communities.
We have a fantastic benefits package that promotes work/life balance; something we are very passionate about! This includes flexible working arrangements and generous salary packaging options so you can increase your take home pay!
SSI is passionate about social justice and diversity and is committed to being an EEO employer. We embrace diversity in our workforce and encourage applications from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, including those from Aboriginal, Torres Strait Island heritage and people with lived experience of disability.
We strongly believe in protecting the safety and wellbeing of children and vulnerable communities and take child protection very seriously. All employees will undergo a National Police Clearance and a Working with Children Check as a condition of employment.
Applications close date: 1st July 2019