- Drive delivery of one of Australia's largest renewable energy investments
- Site based with some initial travel to Brisbane
- Ideal for residents of the Sunshine Coast, Gympie or similar
Queensland Hydro is a publicly owned entity established by the Queensland Government to design, deliver, operate and maintain long duration pumped hydro energy storage assets that will be the cornerstone for the transformation of the state’s energy system.
The organisation will drive delivery of world-class pumped hydro assets to provide the long-term storage and reliability needed to power Queensland’s clean energy future. The organisation will play a critical role in assisting the Queensland Government to meet its renewable energy targets and net zero emissions by 2050, supporting the shift in the Australian economy to a decarbonised energy system.
About the Position
The Senior Project Engineer – Underground, will have a versatile role within our program of projects with a focus on providing engineering and project management expertise to support activities associated with the delivery of the Exploratory Works, including underground geotechnical investigations. In addition, a key requirement of the role will be to ensure sound project design and implementation through contribution to the design, reviews, implementation, quality assurance and overview of construction execution of the underground excavations and associated structures.
Additional role accountabilities and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing constructability input and design reviews for delivery of underground excavations and structures such as declines and portals and associated support/lining design by design service providers.
- Advising or coordinating responses to technical issues, risk or information requests from contractors.
- Ensuring contractors have suitable technical drawings and engineering documents to undertake the works and demonstrate Quality Assurance of the implementation.
- Conducting on-site safety and progress inspections to ensure engineering standards are being met.
- Providing technical input to the broader Project team, including consultants and contractors.
- Evaluating the risk of geohazards, ensuring any factors affecting construction works are identified and managed.
- Communicating ground conditions to the Project team and providing input into relevant construction permits.
- Managing interfaces and associated interactions with other Project work areas and associated contractors.
- Conducting underground inspections to review the practical implementation of design work.
- Coordinating and managing end of month summaries and reporting and any other measures that may be required to facilitate best practice management of contractors and the underground project delivery.
- Contributing to and supporting the Project Manager – Underground in delivering the Exploratory Works program.
To be considered for this position you will ideally possess:
- Degree qualifications in mining, civil or geotechnical engineering, or similar field.
- Minimum of 8 years underground hard rock mining/tunnelling experience, including underground project commencement, planning and projects/infrastructure.
- Sound understanding of modern underground mining/civil practices.
- Experience working with an underground mining/civil contractor.
- Excellent communication skills with a flexible and adaptable outlook.
- Current “C” Class Drivers License (manual).
- Experience in delivering works of an underground exploratory nature.
- Experience in reviewing ground models and assessing existing risks and solutions related to ground activities.
- Demonstrated competency in the evaluation and interpretation of ground investigation data.
- Capable of presenting ideas and working collaboratively within the team.
- Project delivery and management experience.
- Experience using 3D modelling software and schedule packages including Primavera.
- Awareness of health and safety, commercial and contractual risks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to fulfil responsibilities.
What we offer
- 12.75% superannuation
- Health and Wellbeing initiatives, which include our Employee Assistance Program, Mates in Construction Membership and discounted health insurance.
- 14 weeks paid Parental Leave
- Salary packaging
How to apply
To play a key role in one of Australia’s most significant energy investments please don’t hesitate to apply via our LiveHire Portal by clicking the ‘Apply’ link. If not for you, please share or visit www.qldhydro.com.au to review additional vacancies.
Applications Close – Friday, 15 December 2023. (Interviews for this role will be conducted in January 2024)
For additional information regarding this vacancy, please email enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: As part of our recruitment and selection process, shortlisted applicants may be required to undertake background checks. These may include a police check, psychometric testing, a pre-employment medical assessment; and/or drug & alcohol testing.
Queensland Hydro is an equal opportunity employer, and our people strategy focuses on balanced leadership, values diverse backgrounds and fosters a culture of inclusion.
- Published on 01 Dec 2023, 6:26 AM