Kip Homestead Yarra Valley
Position: Dog Trainer
At Kip, we provide pets with the best care and enrichment - and have our people to thank for it. We are compassionate caregivers to our four-legged friends and exceptional communicators to their paw-rents.
Kip Homestead Yarra Valley is located in beautiful Wonga Park and is seeking a Qualified Dog Trainer to compliment our professional and hard working team conducting Board & Trains for our new & existing customers. This is an amazing opportunity for anyone wanting to become a professional dog trainer and learn from some of the best in the industry.
This full time permanent role will have you rostered 8 hour days working with our onsite dogs to enrich their stay and develop their skills. The team operates on a rotating roster, with regular weekends off.
The successful candidate will receive attractive remuneration based on experience and dog handling ability and a supported pathway to becoming a full-time trainer!
Why Kip Happy Stays?
- Did someone say pets?
- We offer real career pathways for individuals who are looking for more than just a job. We are committed to development with a majority of our leaders having been promoted internally.
- We offer opportunities for ongoing training to develop and build your animal handling skills, such as pet first aid and pet CPR, canine socialisation online workshops, and/or become an accredited dog trainer through Kip with the National Dog Trainer’s Federation (NDTF).
- Our teams have access to further training opportunities, such as human first aid, leadership workshops, secondment roles and a Kip community where ongoing learning is celebrated and shared amongst each other.
- We drive collaborative relationships and we encourage our team to visit similar sites to understand how we operate across Kip, network with teams and learn/share ideas from peers.
- We offer a structured induction program that trains on all aspects of the role you will need to succeed and feel confident.
- You receive generous staff discounts of up to 50% on shop items and on our boarding and daycare services (where applicable).
- Attractive remuneration based on experience and dog handling ability and a supported pathway to becoming a full-time trainer!
- Not stuck behind a desk all day and instead you'll be hands-on working with dogs on the field.
- Employee referral program where you can earn up to $3000 per person when you recommend exceptional people that we onboard at Kip Happy Stays.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) that supports our employees with free confidential counselling and support to all employees.
- Find long term friendships with humans who have similar passions and interests and a drive to provide the best quality care to pets across Australia.
- Work for a fun and exciting business with a well established reputation and brand.
- You will be a key contributor to providing a high level of service to pets and their parents through care you can genuinely be proud of.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Consult with clients to understand and address canine behavioural issues and training requirements.
- Detect additional behavioural concerns and communicate these needs to clients with actionable plans to address.
- Create effective training strategies for dogs, documenting their advancement and opportunities.
- Instruct dogs in fundamental commands using tailored training methods that match their individual personality and characteristics.
- Implement suitable training programs to tackle and resolve problematic behaviours such as aggression, separation anxiety, hyperactivity, and biting.
- Maintain cleanliness and organisation in training areas ensuring the wellbeing of animals and other staff.
- Educate clients on proper training techniques to reinforce and sustain their dogs' acquired behaviours and skills.
- Arrange training appointments, confirming bookings, and other general administrative duties as required.
- National Dog Trainers Federation (NDTF) certificate or similar recognised national qualification is highly regarded.
- Deep understanding of dog behaviour, including breed-specific traits, body language, communication, and socialisation.
- Demonstrated history of achieving positive results in dog training addressing various behavioural issues, improving obedience, and developing strong bonds with dogs and their owners.
- Familiarity with various training techniques and methods, including balanced reinforcement. An ability to adapt these techniques to suit different dogs' needs and personalities is crucial.
- Patience and effective communication skills when conveying instructions clearly to both dogs and their owners.
- Ability to analyse and diagnose problems, develop appropriate solutions, and modify training techniques accordingly.
- Dedication to the well-being and welfare of the dogs in their care.
- Commitment to professional development with a passion for keeping up to date with the latest research, techniques, and trends.
- Collaborate with fellow trainers and staff members in a team-oriented environment.
- Capable of working independently, demonstrating self-motivation, and taking initiative.
- Confident and capable handling skills when working with dogs of different sizes, breeds, and temperaments.
What's the best way to be shortlisted?
Include a cover letter outlining why you are best fit for the role. If you are currently working towards your qualification, please share your progress and experience so far.
If you have any questions, please contact Anthony, Training Director, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reviewing your applications and welcoming you to the team at Kip Homestead Yarra Valley!
- Published on 24 Jan 2024, 9:37 PM