- Job no: YTN8D
- Categories: Engineering
Our client, one of the largest electrical energy suppliers in Canada, has an immediate need for an Engineer for Substation Equipment Maintenance - Switchgear. This is a contract position for twenty-two (22) months located in Burnaby, British Columbia.
A Substation Equipment Maintenance Engineer – Switchgear is required to help with an increasing workload in capital projects, emergency replacement and restoration work, asset management strategic OMA work programs and Owners Engineer to review work and to author substation maintenance documents, assist in troubleshooting of equipment issues, provide Engineering input to Maintenance Programs and conduct failure and RCA investigations.
- Provide assistance in the authoring of substation maintenance documents.
- Support Field operations in troubleshooting of equipment issues.
- Provides Engineering assistance to ongoing Maintenance Programs
- Contributes to failure and RCA investigations for failed equipment.
- Research technical substation equipment topics related to the ongoing maintenance of Hydro Substations and authors Engineering reports.
- Review the work of other Engineers and Technologists in Dept. in accordance with EGBC guidelines.
- Provide technical directions to junior engineers.
- Manage design tasks including scope, schedule and cost.
- Find engineering solutions that add value and to reach consensus.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for projects and operations.
- Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion
- Participate in ’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability
- Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
- 8 + yrs experience utility design solutions a in an electric utility environment for the Senior Level Role
- 4 + yrs experience utility design solutions a in an electric utility environment for the Intermediate Role
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or eligible for registration with EGBC
- Must have high voltage substation equipment experience
- Must have Reactive & switchgear (more emphasis on switchgear) experience
- High voltage substation equipment experience is required
- Experience in utilities or equipment manufacturer is preferred
- Experience with the design of electrical utility substations with operating voltages from 12kV to 500kV
- Experience working with utility design solutions a in an electric utility environment.
- Knowledge of electrical
- equipment - ideal candidate would have some experience with the specification and installation of substation electrical equipment.
- Experience in one or both of the reactive or switchgear equipment areas is required.
- Key aspects of the reactive equipment area include:
- series capacitor stations
- STATCOMS and power transformers
- shunt reactors
- instrument transformers
- Key aspects of the switchgear equipment area include:
- HV circuit breakers up to 550kV
- HV & MV GIS
- metal clad switchgear
- circuit switchers
- disconnect switches
- fused cutouts
- station service switchgear
- station surge arresters
- This resource can work from home during covid pandemic but will be required to come onsite for some initial training and may need to attend the office from time to time.
- They will need to work onsite once pandemic restrictions are lifted.
- Must be located in Vancouver (will not consider out of town candidates)
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Published on 16 Apr 2021, 4:37 PM