This is a unique role that broadens the current Instrumentation & Control (I&C) Engineering department’s expertise into the Electronics Engineering discipline.
As a knowledgeable Electronics Engineer you will work on technically challenging projects as a member of the E&C Engineering team. You will be responsible for the estimating, planning, and design of electronic based solutions and equipment in CANDU reactors.
Responsibilities for this role include:
· Design modern replacements for legacy microprocessor or computer-based control systems.
· Upgrade and maintain legacy control systems to extend their service life.
· Provide follow-up support and service of installed systems.
· Provide oversight and technical administration of suppliers
The ideal candidate will be a multi-talented individual capable and willing to take on additional challenging assignments, possibly including:
· Coordinating with other engineering disciplines to produce consistent, integrated designs with well-defined interfaces.
· Development and analysis of Computer System Requirements and Hardware Requirements
· Perform technical audit on programmable logic and discrete electronic design
· Interfacing with vendors on technical support issues.
· Assure adherence to the electronic circuits development processes and documentation
· Interfacing directly with customer technical personnel to support and service installed systems at Canadian nuclear generating stations.
· Perform verification of design documentation
· Writing other design, installation and maintenance documents.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· Minimum 5 years experience in design of analog and programmable digital electronic circuits.
· Current P.Eng. through PEO, or eligible for engineering license through PEO is an asset.
· Fluent in VHDL and programmable devices synthesis / implementation.
· Familiar with the use of electronic design integrated environments such as:
- ORCAD Capture, PSPICE, PCB Editor
- Xilinx Design Suite or similar
· Familiar with microcontroller development environments such as:
- ARM-based 32 bit MCUs
· Experience in generating manufacturing packages for electronic assemblies and test and interfacing with suppliers.
· Familiar with IPC standards for PCBs and electronic assemblies.
· Experience preparing technical documents in English, and presenting technical material to internal and external customers in person.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Must be able to interface with project team members, vendors and customers to ensure scope and requirements of the project are understood, aiming for the project execution per the project schedule and budget.
· Must be able to work on scheduled tasks independently and interface with other team members with varying functions (project managers, mechanical designers, software designers, etc).
· Ability to travel occasionally to customer sites in Ontario (roughly 10% of the time).
· Experience in the Canadian nuclear industry, or another highly-regulated industry (aerospace, defense, medical, etc).
· Experience with DOORS is an asset.
· Experience with the design and manufacturing of electronic Circuit Card Assemblies (CCAs).
· Experience in preparing cost and schedule estimates for small to medium projects.