Exploration Project Manager
- Full-time permanent position
- Prince George, British Columbia
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Excellent professional development opportunity with a well-established company
Who are you?
You’re an Exploration Project Manager, looking for an exciting opportunity to work on geotech exploration drilling projects, mentor, guide staff, and provide oversight using your expertise. You like a mix of office and field work and crave a little bit of adventure.
Who is the employer?
We’re Ian Martin Group, and we’ve partnered with our client, a Canadian drilling contractor specializing in geotechnical drilling, exploration drilling, environmental drilling, cone penetration services etc. Their exploration projects involve investigating the existence of or defining known deposits of materials such as precious and base metals, coal, and other valuable minerals.
Founded 25 years ago, they have supported domestic drilling programs throughout Western Canada including BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon, NWT and Nunavut. Internationally, these operating centers have supported programs in Greenland, Suriname.
They are a solution minded, and collaborative group of professionals. With an environment that is built on respect, safety, diversification, innovation and one that encourages resourcefulness. They provide leading drilling services through the implementation of technically advanced equipment and skilled operators, consistently exceeding the expectations of their diverse client base.
What you’ll be doing
As the new Exploration Project Manager, you’ll be accountable for all aspects of the exploration projects from their inception to execution. The role also has some responsibility for developing business relationships and increasing profitable sales revenue for the company and its subsidiaries.
You will work primarily from the Prince George office, with 50% travel to the field as required to provide supervision and when managing active projects.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing guidance, and where necessary, support in planning, coordination, execution, resources, preparation of cost estimates, tender submissions, technical documentation, client reports, progress reports, project scheduling / resourcing and scope projects
- Meeting deadlines and budgets on projects
- Communicating with all appropriate stakeholders involved with projects (i.e., clients, management, employees, operations, shop, human resources (HR), health and safety (H&S), First Nations and regulators as appropriate, etc.)
- The technical quality and implementation of procedures completed by their team and is responsible for ensuring the appropriate training and technical support is available
- Ensuring that all members of their team, comply with all the company’s HR and H&S policies, technical and administrative procedures, contractual obligations, and regulatory requirements
- Leading and coaching team leaders, supervisors and other employees as required
- Ensuring that all team members agreed-to goals and objectives are achieved in accordance with their team’s and the company’s expectations and policies/procedures
- Participating in the field on a project specific basis as dictated by the needs of the project to meet client expectations and project objectives
The very best in this role will bring more than solid project management understanding and experience. They will also bring a strong sense of leadership, combined with a proven track record of success as a leader, the ability to build and foster relationships quickly will serve them well as they mentor and coach the team to success.
This is a full-time, permanent position located in Prince George, BC. You’ll work primarily from the Prince George office, with 50% travel to the field as required to provide supervision and when managing active projects. The role offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. You’ll also receive a benefits package, bonus, vacation, and RRSP plan.
- 8+ years’ drilling/supervising on Exploration drill programs
- Strong interest in project management, business development and client relations
- Proven ability to meet client targets safely and on time
- Strong health and safety consciousness
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good understanding of Microsoft Office including Word and Excel
- Strong understanding of project management including deadlines and budgets
- Demonstrates the ability to plan, organize, problem solve and prioritize work
- Comfortable working in a variety of environments, including local and remote construction sites
- Ability to coach, train and manage staff
- Ability to travel to support projects and business development as required
- Completion of a post-secondary program in Civil or Geological Engineering
And here’s what would be an asset:
- Heli-portable and skid mounted drill program experience includes set up and tear down
- Graduate degree (Masters or higher)
- P. Eng in BC or Alberta
- PMP Certification
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work. We work with people like you for similar technical roles. If you apply, be sure to create a profile with us. That way, great technical jobs will come to you before they even get to the job boards!