Senior Technical Lead
- Full-time permanent position
- Beamsville, Ontario (Niagara Region)
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
Have you ever thought about how we get Canadian-grown cucumbers in winter? Did you know that lighting can change your mood?
It’s a fascinating area where science, agriculture/horticulture, and business intersect. Thanks to the incredible popularity of urban farms, the North American agricultural/horticultural industry is undergoing monumental changes.
Who is the employer?
We’re Ian Martin Group, and we’ve partnered with our client, a premier supplier of horticultural supplemental lighting solutions. With 40 years in business, they serve the North & South American markets, they manufacture both traditional electronics HPS and CMH luminaires, as well as LED luminaires at their factory in the Niagara region of Ontario.
That’s where you come in
As the new Senior Technical Lead, working predominantly from the Beamsville factory/office, you will support a wide variety of technical aspects, including supporting in-house production line testing equipment, supporting customer field installations, developing complex light plans for greenhouse and indoor growing projects, providing pre-sale and post-sale technical support to the Sales and Marketing Teams, and investigating and recommending technical components used in development of new products, and product improvements. You will also ensure product compliance with CSA and UL standards and regulations.
On a practical level, you will:
- Provide field diagnostics and trouble-shooting support to customers by diagnosing the cause of electrical or mechanical malfunction or failure of operational equipment, and provide/perform corrective actions as required
- Perform in-house diagnostic testing of all fixtures and components
- Create complex light plans for greenhouse and indoor growing projects
- Assist and recommend in developing specification modifications for improved equipment functionality
- Support all test equipment and production machinery on production lines
- Assist and recommend build documentation for assembling fixtures
- Support the Sales and Marketing Team with technical information in pre-sales and post sales environments
- Provide and assist service RMA repair team with technical backup
- Assemble and test prototype components according to engineering data and knowledge of electrical theory and principles
- Develop wiring diagrams, layout drawings, and engineering specifications for system or equipment modifications or expansion, and directs personnel performing routine installation and maintenance duties
- Assist or lead research and development on fixture and controls design
- Assist in research & developing light fixtures
- Ensure technical and configuration accuracy of bill of materials (BOMs) prior to being loaded in ERP
- Communicate with installers and on-site electricians as needed
- Ensure all CSA standards and regulations are met
- Conduct site visits when required to perform various lighting and electrical measurements
- Ensure compliance with Health & Safety policies, procedures, and guidelines
The very best in this role will bring more than a strong technical knowledge. They will also have exceptional customer service and communication skills (written and verbal). They are adaptable, like variety in their work and projects and are unphased by seasonality ebbs and flows. You also have great attention to detail, your multi-tasking skills give you the ability to manage multiple projects at once and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
Our client is a small but mighty team of people, who know and trust each other well. They work hard and love to have fun too – whether it’s golfing together in the summer or snowshoeing together in the winter, they value family and traditions.
This is a full-time, permanent position located in Beamsville, ON, in the heart of the Niagara Region. You’ll work primarily from the Beamsville factory/office traveling on rare occasion to a client site. This role offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. You’ll also receive a benefits package, vacation, a health care spending account, and an RRSP matching plan.
What They’re Looking For:
- Post secondary diploma/degree in electronics, electronic control systems, electrical engineering, (Trade Certified Electrician, or related field is considered an asset)
- Minimum 5 years experience in electrical trade or electrical or lighting/luminaire design work or providing electrical technical support in a manufacturing or assembly line environment
- Strong ability to provide outstanding technical support to customers both internal and external
- Electrical and lighting knowledge (specific to horticultural industry an asset)
- SolidWorks, 2D CAD drafting, 3D is an asset
- Aptitude for learning and working with engineering/light design software
- Ability to trouble shoot electrical problems on lighting installations and fixture manufacturing
- Complete operational fluency in Office 365
- Superb written and verbal communication skills in English (French, Spanish, or Dutch are assets)
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work. We work with people like you for similar technical roles. If you apply, be sure to create a profile with us. That way, great technical jobs will come to you before they even get to the job boards!