Director of Research & Development/Quality Assurance (Director R&D/QA)
- Calgary, AB
- Full-time permanent position
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Excellent opportunity with one of the worlds leading manufacturers and working with extremely talented team that will look to you for your technical competency, knowledge, and business acumen.
Who are you?
You are a seasoned professional leader with over 10 years of experience in Research, Development and Quality Assurance in industrial/manufacturing or mining environment.
You’re looking for a role you will leverage your expertise to contribute to research, supporting overall development regarding strategy, innovation, quality, and product development, to strengthen the core business and develop competitive advantages. As a key member of the management team, you will drive alignment across departments from mining to final product and deliver on the overall strategy in a fast paced, growth-oriented environment.
Who is the employer?
The Ian Martin Group has partnered with our client, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of high-grade magnesium oxide. Their product is used in a wide variety of industrial applications, is gaining popularity in environmental protection and has long been an essential ingredient in ruminant nutrition. The client is dedicated to the achievement of quality of their products supported by the services essential for timely delivery, and qualified personnel for customer support.
With ambitious plans for growth across North America, they are busier than ever and now looking for a Director of Research & Development/Quality Assurance, to join their growing team.
Could that be you?
What you’ll be doing
As the new Director of Research & Development/Quality Assurance, you will play a key management role, and your primary focus will be in contributing to the strategy planning and management to achieve Company’s goal and objectives; advising the CEO regarding the corporation’s Strategic Plan in the areas of Research, Development and Quality Assurance to support sales growth, customer service and cost reduction; assessing and evaluating R&D performance of the Company with regards to long-term goals, budgets and forecasts. Establish policies relating to Research, Development, Quality Assurance & Control. Develops and maintain an effective organization through selection, development, compensation.
Practically speaking you will:
- Reporting to the CEO of the company, the Director R&D/QA, is responsible for all activities within the R&D/QC department.
- Serve as a key member of the management team in contributing to the development of the organizational Vision and Mission and setting short- and long-term objectives for the Company and devising strategies to achieve these objectives.
- Assess and evaluate R&D performance of the Company with regards to long-term goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Responsible for the overall quality of products to ensure the set specifications are met.
- Seek digitalization opportunities within department, such as integration of LIMS, to analyze, track and report product and process data in a timely manner.
- Provide recommendations to optimize production processes and be responsible for formulating proposals and arrange analysis/trials for production efficiency, cost reduction etc.
- Responsible for setting long term objectives in the development of new or improved products based on the sales and marketing requirements of the company.
- Propose manufacturing upgrades in order to support new products and markets.
- Oversee the enforcement of robust testing processes to ensure compliance and adherence to customer specifications.
- Improve the customer experience by implementing quality assurance plans and provide guidance for quality control monitoring and testing.
- Partners with the Sales team and other internal stakeholders on activities such as new idea generation, product and market development as well as process and technical infrastructure improvement.
- Demonstrate strong leadership by example with regard to the company’s health and safety policies through coaching of, and positive reinforcement for, employees.
This is a full-time permanent position based in their Exshaw, Alberta facility with regular travel to the Calgary office. Domestic and international travel as required to meet with customers and other key stakeholders. In addition to a competitive annual base salary between $140-160K, you’ll enjoy comprehensive group benefits, performance-based bonus plan, vacation, and opportunities for professional development.
- Master’s Degree in chemical engineering, geoscience, chemistry, or related field with work experience in related process industry.
- 10 years’ comprehensive experience in Research, Development and Quality Assurance in industrial/manufacturing or mining environment.
- 5 - 7 years of experience as a senior leader.
- Professional experience in industrial minerals, with a focus on supporting manufacturing plants in process /product optimization
- Professional experience in industrial minerals, with a focus on supporting manufacturing plants in process /product optimization.
- Solid Knowledge of pyro-process manufacturing and relevant equipment.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Proven record of direct and indirect management of resources and teams.
- Understanding of best practices in innovation, and customer centric approach to product development.
- Creative thinking and ability to drive performance.
- Strong drive for excellence.
- Passion for personal and team development.
- Experience maintaining metrics and budgets.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work.