We are currently seeking Health Physics (Radiation Protection) for a nuclear client and the Kincardine area. If you have a Radiation Protection or Health Physics background this one might be for you!
• Solve radiation problems arising specifically in the reactor units at an independent multiunit nuclear station having three or more units, and assess on a continuing basis the effectiveness of such solutions.
• Formulate new or revised Radiation Protection Regulations for consideration, possible approval and use throughout Bruce Power's nuclear generating stations.
• Assist Supervisor in the operations of the internal and external dosimetry service at station or site and in the estimated measurement of internal and in the estimation of external doses received in unusual situations.
• Participate in the development of training courses and other training material and conduct such courses. Assist in the maintenance of a continuous program through reexamination of plant personnel to sustain a high level of radiation protection knowledge of the station.
• Prepare routine reports on station radiological conditions and assist in the preparation of reports for outside regulatory authorities on the radiation protection program in the station. Further, prepare technical reports on radiation protection experience at the station.
• Investigate non-routine radiation protection problems and make recommendations as to their resolution and assist Supervisor in environ mental radiological measurements made in the vicinity of the station.
• Carry out radiation investigations and duties, such as the controlling of the transfer of radioactive material from the station.
• Interpret regulations and policy and provide technical assistance in health physics to the operations group and approve radiation protection methods and equipment.
• At the request of the Supervisor provide information and advice to design groups for design changes which will improve radiation protection at the nuclear station.
• Perform other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• A sound knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics, health physics or nuclear engineering and appropriate related mathematics as necessary to understand and apply radiation protection principles and theories
• General knowledge of radiation protection principles and theories and of the design and operation of CANDU nuclear stations
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems, work on jobs with tight deadlines and conflicting priorities
• Demonstrated ability to influence others without having direct authority
• Good facility in written and oral English to write procedures and reports, to deliver training and make presentations to all levels of staff
• Preference for knowledge and skills in software management and development.
Education and Experience:
• Four-year University Degree in the area of Science or Engineering or other relevant discipline (Health Physics, Medical Physics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Nuclear Engineering, Engineering Physics, etc.) is required.
• A period of over 6 years of relevant experience is required.