Principal Engineer – Mechanical
- Full-time permanent position
- Mississauga, Ontario
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Excellent professional development and growth opportunity with a global company
Who are you?
You’re a well-rounded seasoned senior mechanical engineer, looking for an exciting opportunity to work on material processing projects from conception to completion. You want an opportunity to prove yourself and continue growing your career. You enjoy working with talented capable professionals who share a mindset and have an innate ability to work together to share ideas, insights, and responsibility.
Who is the employer?
We’re Ian Martin Group, and we’ve partnered with our client, a global engineering company with offices across Australia, South Africa, Canada, and the Philippines, with operations and projects all over the world. They apply science and ingenuity to process, engineering, construction management, maintenance, and operational challenges. They solve problems and mitigate risk. From concept to completion, from metals, minerals, energy, and renewables to infrastructure.
With over 30+ years of service, they have delivered projects on time, on budget and on specification. With an environment built on respect, innovation and one that encourages resourcefulness. They provide technical expertise to projects including iron ore, precious metals, base metals, and specialty metals and bulk minerals, consistently exceeding the expectations of their client base.
What you’ll be doing
As the new Principal Engineer – Mechanical, you’ll be accountable for managing the coordination and production of design outputs for projects and study requirements. You’ll provide proficient and accurate design input to produce mechanical drawings and maintain the quality of output produced from the appointed discipline team to ensure deliverables are met to high-level of accuracy. You’ll work collaboratively with personal across all business units.
- Conduct timely reviews of project mechanical drawings to achieve full compliance with design intent
- Approve, guide and review engineering designs, including calculations & design development, Interpret engineering drawings, documents, specifications, and scopes
- Provide assistance to monitor the design and drafting progress
- Develop technical documentation including scopes of work and specifications using relevant industry standards and guidelines
- Approve and assist with the delivery of accurate engineering lists including but not limited to equipment, lubrication, spares, valves, pipeline, and special items
- Approve and assist with the delivery of accurate material take-offs as and when required
- Evaluate and approve tenders, provide technical recommendations for the purchase of mechanical equipment from vendors where necessary
- Review and approve certified vendor documentation and disseminate the information to the appropriate personnel for interface checking
- Approve and assist with the delivery of engineering documentation in relation to scope, quantities, cost and schedule
- Understand and educate the team of the latest developments to Industry and project specific codes, standards and related engineering matters
- Register and file all relevant engineering documentation in accordance with the company approved procedures
- Work in conjunction with a range of internal and external stakeholders to meet project design criteria and deliverables
- Maximise the productivity and efficiency of the discipline by planning, scheduling and the appropriate allocation of resources to ensure deliverables are met
- Contribute to engineers-in-training professional development by providing consistent mentoring and identifying avenues of development
The very best in this role will bring more than solid mechanical engineering and design understanding experience. They will also bring a strong sense of leadership, combined with a proven track record of success as a leader and the ability to mentor and coach the team to success. They will have the personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment. They will have a high attention to detail and exceptional knowledge of process optimisation.
This is a full-time, permanent position located in Mississauga, ON. You’ll work primarily from the Mississauga office, with travel on an ad-hoc basis to suit the needs of the business and its operations. This role offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. You’ll also receive a generous benefits package, vacation and RRSP matching plan.
- Safety in Design
- HSE & Risk Management
- System Design for Process Control
- General Mechanical Calculations
- Mechanical Equipment Lists
- Plant Layout
- Engineering Drawings
- Mechanical Design Codes
- Bulk Material Handling
- Piping Design
- Slurry Transport
- Materials Selection
- Equipment Specifications
- Equipment Evaluation & Selection
- Client Management
- Commissioning Experience
- Design Auditing & Compliance
- Technical Site Support
- Gold processing
- University Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 15+ years post graduate experience in mineral processing is a must
- Experience with gold processing is a must
- Experience leading, coaching, and mentoring a team of direct and in-direct reports
- Demonstrated ability to achieve consistently high standards within both budgetary and schedule constraints
- Extremely well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Proven track record of building and sustaining positive relationships with all stakeholders, including clients, vendors, and co-workers
- P. Eng is considered an asset
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work. We work with people like you for similar technical roles.