Our client who is a leader in the North American Power and Energy market has an immediate need for a P&C Design Engineer - Transmission Stations. This is a twelve (12) month contract located at their head office in Vancouver. The role will be remote until the pandemic restrictions are lifted.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
• A minimum four (4) years of in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
• Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform activities such as developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on low to medium complexity assignments for projects and/or operations.
• Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by performing activities such as proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
• Participate in the engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making typical decisions related to standard methods and designs so that engineering standards are maintained.
• Perform periodic tasks independently which may include on-site construction quality control and monitoring to ensure design compliance.
• Engage with the senior engineering team where engineering problems are difficult, complex, or unusual to support the management of engineering risk.
Education and Skills
• University graduate in applied science or engineering
• Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
• Our client uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
• Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
• Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
• Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
• This role requires experience with the design of protection and control systems in electrical utility substations with operating voltages from 12kV to 500kV and demonstrated experience working with utility P&C design solutions and protection & control systems in an electric utility environment.
• The work is focused on the protection and control systems used in transmission stations with operating voltages from 12kV to 500kV.
• Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
• Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
• Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC) and design practices.
• Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
• Prepare detailed designs and documentation for protection and control systems in substations with operating voltages from 12 kV to 500 kV in accordance with our client and industry standards and practices.
• Prepare detailed design packages (equipment layouts, single line diagrams, ac/dc schematics diagrams, cable schedules, wiring diagrams, material lists, external connections) required to install or modify equipment, including interfacing to the existing station systems, ready to issue and archive in the Drawing file system.
• Specify and procure materials, panel assemblies and other related equipment.
• Prepare reports detailing condition assessment investigations of facility equipment and systems, evaluation and analysis of the investigation, and recommendations to address any deficiencies found.
• Prepare commissioning test plans and summary of requirements documentation.
• Providing technical guidance and review of designs prepared by others following established practices.
• Provide training for end-users and peers on the theory and operational use of the installed or modified equipment/systems.
- Must have P.Eng
- Must be located in Vancouver
- Previous BC Hydro experience is an asset
Additional work overview:
- Work with P&C Design Engineers on NERC V5 and V7 task and deliverables.
- Draft and review station asset inventory list according to the client’s spread sheet and review guide.
- Perform quality assurance process on the data / information submitted by the field for the asset inventory task.
- Provide task progress update and attend project team meetings as needed.
All 3 resources will support design work for the NERC CIP V5 and V7 project.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.