- Job no: KHYBM
- Categories: Engineering
Our client, a market leading energy company has an immediate need for a Senior Development Engineer for a five (5) month contract opportunity based in their Edmonton office.
In this role you will be directly accountable for developing medium complexity projects. The focus will be predominantly on electrical, controls and instrumentation projects in the USA and Canada with the opportunity to support other discipline gas and liquids projects. You are accountable for the project development activities associated with modification, expansion, operability, reliability, and integrity of existing client facilities.
What you will be doing...
- Work in a team of development engineers to drive innovate, fit-for-purpose, development of projects in support of business drivers that protect and/or enhance pipeline throughput and revenue, often providing options that permit customer flexibility and choice.
- Ensure appropriate stakeholder management; preliminary determination of regulatory requirements; and completion of front-end engineering and designs, cost estimates, and project execution strategies are developed.
- Development of complete proposals for Unclassified to Class 3 scope, estimates and schedules to meet the needs of various sponsors. Proposals define critical information, specific to each project to be used by executive management to make decisions.
- Develop realistic and reliable project schedules and cost estimates for capital and operation projects, while appropriately defining risks, uncertainties and probabilistic outcomes for those schedules and cost estimates. Application of knowledge, experience and expert resources, to ensure schedules and cost estimates are appropriate for the project scope and risk profile.
- Provide regular formal and informal project management reporting to Senior Management and stakeholders on assigned projects.
- Oversee technical activities such as preliminary engineering activities, scope development, hydraulic analysis, cost estimation, schedule development, risk assessment, and economic analysis.
- Provide electrical, controls and instrumentation technical support such as preliminary engineering activities and scope development to other Core Projects Development team members on multi-discipline projects.
- After project approval, lead an effective transition from the development phase to the execution phase. Ensure that the knowledge of decisions, assumptions and execution plans made during the development phase are accurately understood and applied in the execution phase (particularly detailed design).
- Ensure compliance with internal project development procedures, Project Governance and Lifecycle Process (PLGC) process, and engineering design standards, as well as providing recommendations for improvements for these.
- Prepare and have a meaningful Individual Development Plan with timely and effective performance conversations with the supervisor and identify with supervisor appropriate competency based training and learning opportunities.
- Assigned projects from concept screening to planning phases will have significant financial impact to the client's business results and success of the company’s strategies.
- Core projects can range from $500k to $100MM and mostly brownfield and medium complexity with an electrical, controls and instrumentation focus.
- Majority of projects will be in USA and focused on electrical infrustructure; however, there may be opportunities to develop US and Canadian Liquid projects as well.
- Work collaboratively with appropriate team members in Execution, Engineering, Cost Engineering, System Design, Project Development, and Non-Technical Risk teams within the Projects organization.
- Work collaboratively with key client sponsors and stakeholders outside of Projects such as Business Development, Asset Performance, Infrastructure Planning, Capacity Management, iPETH, Operations Engineering, ECM, Regional Operations, CCO, and other departments.
- Engage external engineering consultants to complete front-end engineering deliverables.
What you will need to succeed...
- An Electrical Engineer from an accredited engineering program with a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the energy sector focused on engineering, operations and/ or development engineering.
- Experience in design, project execution, or operations of pipeline systems.
- Excellent project management, conflict resolution, communication and interpersonal skills. Professional designation and/or extensive experience and knowledge of AACE and PMI best practices in estimating and project management, is desirable.
- Proven communicator in diverse and complex team environments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Regular travel to offices of customers / stakeholders.
- Travel to field locations.
- Will include international travel.
Looking for meaningful work? We can help!
If you are a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Closed a month ago - 11 Jul 2020