We are seeking highly qualified and experienced personnel to work as part of the Vale Project team in a range of areas including services to the Project Commissioning and Start-up team to facilitate execution of the projects commissioning and start-up plan. Knowing what to do, and equally important, not what to do, is critical when confronted with daily unplanned events or circumstances during commissioning. Inherently by its nature and type of work, including first energization of equipment, Commissioning and Start-up are a higher risk activities, and there is no room for improvisation.
The Vale VBME CSU group is responsible for: pre-commissioning (S2) tasks required to verify equipment / component integrity; and cold commissioning (S3) tasks required to verify logic and controls will function as designed and Start-up of the equipment. The newly constructed process systems have been divided into commissionable sub-systems consisting on mechanical equipment, piping and electrical power & controls. The CSU Group will primarily consist of Lead(s), CSU Technicians, and CSU Technical Support. Each group is supplemented with a construction team, a controls team and an electrical team dedicated to the CSU group.
The position of VBME CSU Electrical Technician is part of the CSU group responsible for precommissioning, commissioning and start-up tasks. The position will be a direct report to the VBME CSU Lead.
The successful candidate will be responsible for Day to day duties and deliverables as follows: · Responsible for implementation on a day to day basis of a strong health and safety culture in line with Vale’s Safety and Health and Environment management system.
- Review and provide input and support to the overall commissioning effort.
- Stage 2 Pre-Commissioning Testing covers the verification and testing of individual equipment. This work includes the I/O Checks, motor rotation checks, MCC checks, etc. The equipment is energized during pre-commissioning.
- Perform pre-walks to monitor construction readiness for turnover compared to the construction turn-over plan.
- Participate in final walks with Construction to ensure the sub-systems are complete ensuring uninterrupted commissioning of the sub-system(s).
- Report back to the CSU Lead any roadblocks or shortcoming that will impact the group’s ability to start commissioning by the planned date.
- Interface with the Vale Completions group to ensure construction check sheets are completed and in the turnover system.
- Coordinate punch clearing efforts between the construction, commissioning and, if necessary, the operating group.
- Execute Commissioning and Start-up tasks, coordinated work in the field and ensure it is carried out in accordance with written procedures with emphasis on Permit to Work and Lock Out/Tag Out guidelines.
- Field Level Testing/Validating/Adjusting equipment.
- Review RFI and MoC logs to verify field changes made by construction are accurate and approved
Communicate and work collaboratively with various project disciplines – including other CSU groups, CSU support groups, Vale project engineering, QA and construction disciplines.
Essential Skills / Qualifications & Assets:
- 5 or more years of experience as a Technician for Stage 2 Commissioning Activities. Experience in roles of Electrical and/or Instrumentation Superintendent or General Foreman will be considered when evaluating the candidates experience.
- Electrical or Instrumentation trades designation with working experience in heavy industry is considered an asset.
- Previous field level experience in first energization and calibration. (Low and High Voltage) · Previous field level leadership for field execution and testing experience on large projects.
- Previous experience on Vale led Commissioning efforts is seen as an asset.
- Comfortable working in a team-based environment while possessing the ability to manage and prioritize day to day duties and deliverables.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the understanding of single line diagrams, electrical schematics and wiring diagrams.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use MS Excel & Outlook.
- Strong Organization Skills
- Strong Communication Skills, both Written & Oral
Work Site and Schedule
- Position is based in Voisey’s Bay, the shift schedule is 2 weeks in 2weeks out, working 12hr days, for the 14days on site. The rotation / shift / schedule may change to meet the needs of the project execution effort. You may be expected to work from the St. John’s office from time to time.
- The place of work will be Voisey’s Bay Site in Labradour, as a fly in / fly out operation, all employees will be flown to/from designated pick up / drop off points in Newfoundland and Labrador on VNL’s chartered service to site at no cost to them.
On behalf of our client, Ian Martin recognizes the Impact & Benefits Agreements with the Innu Nation & the Nunatsiavut Government in which Innu & Innuit workers have first preference for employment at the Voisey’s Bay Site.
Candidates may also apply through their Aboriginal Employment Coordinator.
The Ian Martin Group is an equal opportunity employer.
Deadline September 21, 2020
Please apply online https://www.livehire.com/job/ianmartin/GNYBY
Innu Nation members and Nunatsiavut beneficiaries can also apply through Vale’s Aboriginal Employment Coordinators.
Please ensure you include your full name, address, community and province when applying