Senior Manager of Tax Planning & Special Projects
· Saint John, New Brunswick
· Full-time permanent position
· Competitive salary commensurate with experience, bonus, benefits, relocation assistance
· Opportunity to work on the beautiful East coast, where you can enjoy the ocean at your door, untouched wilderness, pristine beaches, and affordable living – relocation assistance available
· Excellent opportunity with a well-established, stable company with a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation
Who are you?
Are you an expert on Taxes, looking for an exciting new opportunity to take on a leadership role with one of Canada’s top 100 employers? If so, this may be the perfect role for you.
You’re looking to join a collaborative and professional team, committed to diversity and inclusion along with a safety-first culture. If you’re up for a new and exciting challenge, with a company that can offer you stability, professional development, and a chance to work with like-minded, values-driven individuals, look no further.
Who is the employer?
The Ian Martin Group has partnered with our client, a family-owned company, founded over 90 years ago, with operations throughout Eastern Canada, northeast US and Ireland. They operate bulk furnace oil and propane outlets across Atlantic Canada, New England and Quebec as well as select locations in eastern Ontario, almost all of which is supplied from their refinery in NB. Our client is focused on providing exceptional service and high-quality products to their customers and a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation.
What you’ll be doing
The Senior Manager of Tax Planning and Special Projects is an integral part of the Tax leadership team, who works closely with the Director of Tax to develop tax planning initiatives across the company (CA, US, IR, and UK) and work collaboratively to ensure execution and objectives are met.
Practically speaking you will:
· Engage with the tax team, Senior Management, and business leadership to understand key strategic initiatives and business plans. Review the business cases and identify tax implications
· Work with the Director of tax to develop and gate tax planning initiatives consistent with strategic tax objectives, business plans and risk tolerance. Develop business case to support proposed initiatives
· Assemble teams of tax technical resources to support initiatives
· Engage in the planning and execution of significant transactions; manage the application of tax technical resources and ensure tax matters are addressed
· Develop detailed plans for implementation of tax planning. Assemble team of tax & legal technical resources and lead implementation
· Perform modeling & analytics of tax results of proposed transactions
· Identify key tax risks facing the organization and provide leadership to ensure required risk activities are undertaken
· Liaise with tax managers to oversee consistent application of tax legislative changes and utilization of tax technology
· Support the Director of Tax in building relationships with businesses to address tax needs
· Develop, maintain and monitor compliance with tax policies and procedures
The very best in this role will bring more than solid technical experience. They will be excellent communicators and have strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain relationships with all stakeholders. They must be able to collaborate with various stakeholder groups and lead front end project development through influence and use logical/objective decision making.
This is a full-time permanent position based in Saint John, New Brunswick. If relocation is required, assistance can be provided. In addition to a competitive annual salary, you’ll enjoy comprehensive group benefits, performance-based bonus plan, vacation, flexible work program and opportunities for professional development.
· Strong leadership skills with the ability to mentor and lead cross functional teams
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Strong relationship building skills
· Excellent time management skills and able to meet multiple deadlines
· Good analytical skills
· Strong MS Excel skills
· Comprehensive understanding of tax budgeting and forecasting process
· Exceptional knowledge of Canadian tax laws and working knowledge of U.S. tax laws
· Good knowledge of Canadian GAAP and IFRS tax accounting
· Undergraduate degree in business is required
· Accounting designation is required
· Completed CPA in-depth tax program or Masters degree in tax
· 15+ years of experience in planning and executing significant tax transactions
· 5+ years of leadership experience
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work. We work with people like you for similar technical roles. If you apply, be sure to create a profile with us. That way, great technical jobs will come to you before they even get to the job boards!