Senior Cloud Systems Engineer
- Positions available in both the US and Canada
- Work from home opportunity
- Smart, motivated, high-performing team
- Chance to work on interesting technical problems
Founded in 2013, mParticle is leading the way in corporate data utilization. We’re working with major brands that you’re probably already using: names like Spotify, Hulu and Airbnb.
Our platform collects, cleans, and integrates data with the tools our clients already have in place; it empowers decision making and improves performance. Whether they’re trying to learn more about the spending rates of their customers or looking to reduce travel time in their navigation app, we have the tools, technology, and expertise to make it happen.
Recognized as one of Crain’s 100 Best Places to Work in New York City—and named to Gartner’s “Cool Vendors in Mobile App Development” list—mParticle has 145 employees and is headquartered in New York City with offices in San Francisco, Florida, Seattle and London.
Senior Cloud Systems Engineer
As part of the Production Engineering Team, you will be integral to the design, set up, automation, and maintenance of challenging projects. Initially, you’ll be spending time gaining a deep understanding of our systems and pipeline.
The ideal candidate should have effective intercommunication skills to promote collaboration with developers, support engineers, customers, and senior management. They will work closely with development squads, our client-facing teams, and customers, as well as other engineers and developers gathering requirements, architecting, and constantly delivering quality improvements to our platform.
The best in this role will be capable of working independently and contributing to projects in broad ways: from determining vague scopes to taking initiative on small improvements and changes.
- Write quality, clean, and maintainable code in Terraform and Ansible, improving existing codebase to help automate and remove toil from the team
- Live-debug applications and issues, and identify, resolve or own resolution for functionality and performance deficiencies
- Create novel architectures of small components within your area of expertise—this includes diagramming architecture and assessing trade-offs made and patterns applied, assessing the effort for the change and approximate timeline
- Identify, and suggest or resolve performance issues with production applications and their configuration
- Write SOPs for issues encountered and common tasks
- Produce and improve internal documentation and SOPs where they are lacking in quality or details
- Identify and push forward new features or enhancements that improve the functioning of a system or feature
- Contribute to defining SLAs and SLIs
- Maintain and augment our monitoring systems to alert on symptoms instead of issues
- Be the responsible/SME engineer for 2 or more internally-maintained supporting infrastructure components and have general knowledge of all platform components
- Understand the flow control of the majority of systems
- Troubleshoot production problems, write post-mortems
- Automate repetitive tasks using purpose-written code or commercially available tool(s)
- Participate in code reviews
- Proactively research and keep up to date on the patterns, advancements, and evolutions of tools and technologies used in the mParticle pipeline
- Follow existing patterns to create new instances of projects, features, or architecture
- Properly sense when to engage Security for a review of a potential change
- Develop solutions/code that reduces future operational burden (e.g. by adding appropriate self-healing, high levels of alerting/monitoring/logging, reducing alert noise, etc.)
- Contribute to the build and release tooling and infrastructure
- Make and communicate accurate time estimates for work, potentially spanning multiple sprints
- Consistently communicate technical decisions through high-quality design docs, tech talks, and wiki contributions
- Follow provided best practices and rightsizing instances to ensure efficiency and generate cost savings
- Participate in our on-call PagerDuty rotation responding to platform incidents and providing engineer support
- Mentor junior engineers
Working with mParticle
Here at mParticle, everyone is equal. We believe strongly in our values and are looking for someone who demonstrates empathy and sincerity to all roles and teammates. We also believe in excellence and making the very best product we can as a team; that’s why reviews and testing are key parts of our process.
Mentorship is critical to our mindset and approach, especially when to comes to our senior team. There are daily opportunities for our junior team to try new things, make mistakes, and learn; every mistake is just an opportunity to patch a hole we didn’t know was there, and we endeavour to never make the same mistake twice.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other highly technical, scientific discipline
- Ability to “own” Terraform, Ansible, and the Linux shell
- Have a proactive approach to spotting problems, areas for improvement, and performance bottlenecks
- Coding/scripting experience beyond simple scripts
- An eye for edge cases, behaviors, creative solutions
- Experience with configuration management
- Ability to efficiently balance speed/iteration and quality
How to Apply
Here at mParticle we embrace the differences that make us unique. We are dedicated to building an inclusive environment that fosters respect and celebrates an array of backgrounds and perspectives.
Employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.