- Job no: A9HXJ
- Categories: Engineering, Lab Technician
Lab Technician - HVAC R&D
- Barrie, ON
- 2 Full time permanent positions
- Day and Afternoon shifts available
- $45,000 - $55,000 annual salary
Ian Martin Workforce is working with a manufacturer in Barrie, ON that specializes in Home Comfort products. Voted "Best Managed Company in Canada" we have several openings for young up comers to get their foot in the door and learn from the best in the business. As their new Lab Technician, you will be participating in all aspects of new product design, development, fabrication, assembly and testing for electrical AC/ DC high and low voltage products.
Daily Responsibilities Include:
- Tests products under the AHRI, ASHRAE, CSA, UL Standards which include product safety, airflow, air speed, voltage/current, control logic and function, PCB and electronic component/sub assembly etc.
- Validation of documentation; including field assembly, installation and service procedures for appliances and accessories.
- Calibration of the Mechanical R&D equipment: Combustion Analyzer, Thermometers, Thermocouples, Voltmeters, Manometers, Flow Meters, Thermesthesiometer, IR Gun, IR Camera, Camera and 5G3.
- Calibration of Electrical Equipment: Digital Multimeter, (voltage, current, resistance, continuity, etc.), Electrical safety compliance tester, (hipot dielectric, ground bond, resistance tester, megger, etc.), function generator, oscilloscope, clamp ammeter, leakage current tester, power analyzer, ac / dc fixed and variable power supplies.
- Collect data, analyze and complete the reporting. Storing all raw data, photographs, processed data, videos, reports etc. correctly in company testing project folders.
- Appropriately recording, analyzing and interpreting results to generate appropriate conclusions and recommendations based on a clear understanding of gas combustion theory, Refrigeration and air conditioning system & Psychrometry.
- Effectively collaborate with project / production coordinators for product reviews, (DFM,DFA, DFI, DFS), benchmarking (competitors and existing products), design review, testing reviews and in doing so provide relevant data, recommendations and conclusions regarding manufacturability, performance, cost reduction or durability.
- Collaborate with QA to provide support for root cause analysis. Assist to product built during engineering run by providing necessary training to assembly personnel.
- Sheet Metal Layout and Fabrication: Creating hand sketches for self or others to use for the purpose of making sample parts, limited prototypes and communicating changes to project coordinators or designers. Producing sample parts from sketches using R&D equipment.
- Build and assemble prototype units: Assemble prototypes from production parts, prototype, or modified components or samples. Modify parts as required for prototypes using a variety of techniques.
- Record any issues during prototype, propose design changes to improve manufacturability, performance, installation, service or durability.
- Consistently report relevant findings and new information in company ‘Lessons Learned’ spreadsheet / database with a view to improve future products and/or test procedures.
- Provide guidance to Assistant Lab Technician, students or Co-ops to perform their work safely.
- Safe use and operation, (where applicable after training), of R&D construction equipment. Welder, Plasma Cutter, Band Saw, Drill Press, Glass Cutter, Belt Sander, Bench Grinder, Paint Booth operation, Paint Storage, Metal Shear, and Metal Break etc.
- Power Tools: Disc Grinder, Drills, Air Nailer, Air riveters, Jig Saw, Sawzall, and Circular Saw etc.
- Maintain, organize, and proper storage of all tools and equipment.
- Promptly identify safety concerns to lab project coordinator, supervisor and or manager and advise other associates in the event of observing unsafe practices.
- Undertake certification testing for assigned projects in collaboration with project coordinator and 3rd party testing agency ensuring a focus on correct testing methods and procedures to the relevant standard.
Education and Experience:
- Successfully completed and graduated High School, with a willingness to continue training and education in a technical discipline.
- Minimum 5 years work experience, with a minimum of 2 years related experience in R&D environment products and/or sheet metal fabrication, manufacturing including product assembly.
- 1 year related experience with 2 year College Diploma in a related field of study; OR 1 year related experience preferred with a 3 year College Diploma in a related field of study
- Specialized Skills: Demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- Welding, fitting, brazing, and/or electrical skills would be an asset.
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help.
If you're a Skilled Trades professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Workforce, we exist to connect people like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Published on 03 Dec 2020, 4:39 PM