Instrumentation and Control Systems Designer
- Saint John, New Brunswick
- Full-time permanent position
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, bonus, benefits, relocation assistance
- Opportunity to work on the beautiful East coast, where you can enjoy the ocean at your door, untouched wilderness, pristine beaches, and affordable living
- Excellent opportunity with a well-established, stable company with a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation
Who are you?
Are you a seasoned I&C Designer, looking for an exciting new opportunity to take on a leadership role with one of Canada’s top 100 employers? This may be the perfect role for you.
You’re looking to join a collaborative and professional team, committed to diversity and inclusion along with a safety-first culture. If you’re up for a new and exciting challenge, with a company that can offer you stability, professional development, and a chance to work with like-minded, values-driven individuals, look no further.
Who is the employer?
The Ian Martin Group has partnered with our client, a family-owned company, founded over 90 years ago, with operations throughout Eastern Canada, northeast US and Ireland. They operate bulk furnace oil and propane outlets across Atlantic Canada, New England and Quebec as well as select locations in eastern Ontario, almost all of which is supplied from their refinery in NB. Our client is focused on providing exceptional service and high-quality products to their customers and a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation.
What you’ll be doing
As the new Instrumentation and Control Systems (I&C) Designer, you’ll be part of the engineering services team and will work on multiple capital projects throughout the year to support the refinery and marine and land terminal locations. You’ll be responsible for the design of instrumentation and control systems for the development of construction work packages. You’ll work with a tightly coordinated inter-disciplinary engineering team and will ensure that all designs meet company, industry, regulatory and safety standards.
Practically speaking you will:
- Design and work on deliverables for all project phases including conceptual design, feasibility, and detailed engineering
- Develop P&ID’s, instrument index, datasheets and specifications, block layout diagrams, cable schedules, panel layouts, instrument location details, loop and wiring diagrams, installation details, inter-discipline reviews, vendor package interfacing and plant control system design
- Deliver specification of various instruments for flow, pressure, level, and temperature measurement in accordance with client and project design requirements
- Support procurement packages and technical bid evaluation
- Support construction installation scopes of work
- Participate in P&ID and pHA reviews
- Provide site construction support
- Prepare schedules, estimates, and manpower forecasts
- Support change management
- Communicate and align with clients, vendors, and other disciplines
The very best in this role will bring more than solid technical experience. They will be excellent communicators and have strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain relationships with all stakeholders. They must be able to collaborate well with team members, take initiative and be solution oriented.
This is a full-time permanent position based in Saint John, New Brunswick. If relocation is required, assistance can be provided. In addition to a competitive annual salary, you’ll enjoy comprehensive group benefits, performance-based bonus plan, vacation, flexible work program and opportunities for professional development.
- Safety as-a-way-of-life mindset
- Able to work towards firm deadlines in a project’s environment with shifting priorities
- Thorough knowledge of engineering practices for instrumentation and control systems
- Able to work collaboratively with stakeholders at all levels
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to prioritize workload quickly according to schedule and plan changes
- Able to wear full PPE as required by safety standards when working on-site
- 10+ years relevant experience in the design of Instrumentation and Control systems for the Refining/Oil and Gas Industry
- Extensive knowledge of instrumentation and control systems technology and design Knowledge of DCS and PLC hardware, (experience with Honeywell is considered an asset)
- Understanding of codes, governing regulations, and industry best practices
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and design software including AutoCAD
- Good knowledge of applicable standards, e.g. API, ISA, ASME, CSA
- Competent in English and possess excellent written and oral communication skill
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Post-secondary education or bachelor’s degree in related field
- PTech or PEng designation an asset
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work. We work with people like you for similar technical roles. If you apply, be sure to create a profile with us. That way, great technical jobs will come to you before they even get to the job boards!