- Job no: 4F8T3
- Categories: Engineering
Our client who is a leader in the North American Power and Energy market has an immediate need for a Senior Cost Estimator Consultant. This is a twelve (12) month contract located at their office in Vancouver. The role will be remote until the pandemic restrictions are lifted.
This position is responsible for preparing cost estimates and providing cost estimating support, scheduling input for a wide variety of transmission lines and substations. You must be experienced in building greenfield (net new) estimates from engineering drawings.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
- A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for projects and operations.
- Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion.
- Participate in engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability.
- Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
Education and Skills
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
- You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
- Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
- Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
DUTIES: The successful candidate:
As an experienced Professional Engineer, prepares the direct and indirect cost estimates for services, labour, materials and equipment, and the high level schedules for 69kV - 500kV transmission line (overhead, submarine and underground cable) and substation projects during Planning, Identification, Definition and Implementation Phases.
- Gathers information on project scope of work and contracting plans and assists in the establishment of the project work breakdown structure in preparation for estimating.
- Develops and manages the estimating work package or activities for the project, reviews the work packages of others for completeness vs the project scope before incorporating in the project estimate.
- Communicates with and reviews the work and progress of assigned Hydro staff, consultants and contractors and completed works to ensure accuracy, achievement of required results and adherence to accepted engineering practice and procedures, and with the project work breakdown structure.
- Prepares information to support regulatory processes
- Prepares for, coordinates, conducts or presents estimates at management review meetings or at meetings addressing issues related to the estimate/schedule in a project.
- Reviews final estimate package and ensure it meets all the requirements and comments from reviewers prior to final approvals/acceptance of the estimate.
- Provides input to and review of contract specifications and tender packages for bid-ability assessment, and to the contract schedule of payments
- Analyze and report various attributes such as contractor progress, contract variance and complex change requests from vendors, and overall analysis to support the estimating process or overall project performance.
- Supervises, coaches and mentors other staff in the department, which may include both employees and consultants.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor of engineering degree in the Electrical or Civil disciplines; preference will be given to candidates with an electrical engineering background
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC)
- A minimum Eight (8) years of combined experience in engineering and construction including at least Four (4) years related experience in heavy industrial projects estimating and scheduling working on varied complex utility contracts projects up to or in excess of $100 million in total project value. This experience should be primarily in the area of estimating rather than project control. Preferably this experience is for power utility transmission lines (overhead & underground) and substation related projects.
- Demonstrated proficiency as a senior estimator with a solid understanding of estimating principles and practices,
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Published on 25 Feb 2021, 6:14 PM