Manager, Canadian Tax
· Saint John, New Brunswick
· Full-time permanent position
· Competitive salary commensurate with experience, bonus, benefits, relocation assistance
· Opportunity to work on the beautiful East coast, where you can enjoy the ocean at your door, untouched wilderness, pristine beaches, and affordable living – relocation assistance available
· Excellent opportunity with a well-established, stable company with a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation
Who are you?
Are you an expert on Canadian Taxes, looking for an exciting new opportunity to take on a leadership role with one of Canada’s top 100 employers? If so, this may be the perfect role for you.
You’re looking to join a collaborative and professional team, committed to diversity and inclusion along with a safety-first culture. If you’re up for a new and exciting challenge, with a company that can offer you stability, professional development, and a chance to work with like-minded, values-driven individuals, look no further.
Who is the employer?
The Ian Martin Group has partnered with our client, a family-owned company, founded over 90 years ago, with operations throughout Eastern Canada, northeast US and Ireland. They operate bulk furnace oil and propane outlets across Atlantic Canada, New England and Quebec as well as select locations in eastern Ontario, almost all of which is supplied from their refinery in NB. Our client is focused on providing exceptional service and high-quality products to their customers and a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation.
What you’ll be doing
As the new Manager of the Canadian Tax provision, you will lead a team of approximately 3 – 5 people. You will be responsible for the consolidated tax provision, Canadian Corporate tax compliance, and forecasting.
Practically speaking you will:
· Provide management & leadership to the tax operations team; manage and deliver on the organization’s tax reporting and compliance obligations
· Prepare consolidated tax provisions and note disclosures
· Detailed oversight and approval of the tax provisions prepared by tax analysts
· Detailed oversight over and approval of tax reconciliations
· Prepare annualized effective tax rate and tax forecasts
· Establish productive relationships with the businesses – ensure that provisions are understood and informational requirements for provisions and compliance are met
· Manage cash tax payments and working capitol
· Review and approval of corporate tax returns prepared by tax analysts
· Preparation of significant Canadian corporate tax returns
· Monitor tax legislative developments impacting the business and effectively communicate to stakeholders
· Work with external financial auditors on quarterly and annual audits of the tax provision
· Assist and engage in audit management, strategic tax planning and other initiatives as required
The very best in this role will bring more than solid technical experience. They will be excellent communicators and have strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain relationships with all stakeholders. They must be able to collaborate with various stakeholder groups and lead front end project development through influence and use logical/objective decision making.
This is a full-time permanent position based in Saint John, New Brunswick. If relocation is required, assistance can be provided. In addition to a competitive annual salary, you’ll enjoy comprehensive group benefits, performance-based bonus plan, vacation, flexible work program and opportunities for professional development.
· Strong leadership skills with the ability to mentor and lead cross functional teams
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Strong relationship building skills
· Excellent time management skills and able to meet multiple deadlines
· Good analytical skills
· Expert MS Excel skills; VLOOKUPS, pivot tables, formulas, etc
· Comprehensive understanding of tax budgeting and forecasting process
· Exceptional knowledge of Canadian tax laws
· Excellent knowledge of IFRS tax accounting and reporting
· Post-secondary education in accounting or finance. Undergraduate degree is required
· Accounting designation is required
· Completed CICA in-depth tax program or Masters in Tax
· 7+ years relevant work experience
· 5+ years of leadership experience
· Experience in the energy business an asset
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work. We work with people like you for similar technical roles. If you apply, be sure to create a profile with us. That way, great technical jobs will come to you before they even get to the job boards!