Director of Care (RN)
- Full-time, permanent role
- Up to $105,000 per year, depending on experience
Since 1984, Responsive Group has been making a difference for seniors by supporting them in a safe, comfortable, and welcoming environment. Currently operating dozens of LTC and retirement homes across Ontario, they’re assembling a team of dedicated healthcare staff who are committed to the wellbeing of residents and each other.
No matter what location you choose to work in, you can have confidence in the support and leadership at Responsive Group homes. If you have a sudden issue and don’t know what to do, you’ll have a supportive, and non-judgmental team behind you.
Transparency and camaraderie are the cornerstones of Responsive Group’s culture; even though healthcare is a policy-driven environment where rules matter, we still find ways to be ourselves, have fun, and make a difference.
This role will provide oversight and leadership to our nursing team, ensuring that shifts are adequately staffed, and that team members have the necessary resources (knowledge, equipment, time) to administer high levels of care to residents.
Beyond hands-on experience in nursing, this role requires strong managerial and leadership skills; your ability to understand and solve conflicts, and to implement policies and procedures in unique situations, will be critical to success.
Practically speaking, you will:
- Provide a professional and positive environment for the nursing team that supports growth and development
- Direct the implementation and review of relevant company policies, procedures and processes required to meet government legislation and industry standards
- Ensure all residents receive care and services according to their needs
- Monitor the quality of nursing services and administer long term strategic plans for nursing
- Implement goals and objectives to achieve the corporate vision for resident care
- Ensure risk management process is adhered to by reviewing staff and resident incident reports, monthly indicators, Public Health Inspections, Ministry of Labour inspections, Accreditation reports, etc.
- Ensure nursing team works safely through the implementation of safe work practices and service guidelines
- Recommend and participate in the termination of nursing staff according to facility policies, procedures and collective agreements
- Ensure appropriate documentation and maintenance of records for both residents and personnel
- Manage all aspects of human resources relating to the Nursing Department
- Manage financial matters including budgeting, resource allocation, purchasing, staffing etc.
- Delegate clinical and managerial responsibilities, providing direction and leadership
Working with Responsive Group
This is a full-time, permanent position with regular hours from M-F, with occasional need for flexibility on evenings and weekends. You’ll start out at a competitive wage, commensurate with your skills and experience.
Our Scarborough location, Ina Grafton Gage Home, has recently introduced a new Executive Director. You’ll be joining a leadership team that has ambitious cultural and process goals for our community. This is an excellent role for someone who is driven and confidant: someone with a strong vision of how things should operate, and the determination to implement changes.
- Experience as a Director of Care or Assistant Director of Care in a Long-Term Care Facility
- 3+ years’ experience as a registered nurse
- 3+ years’ experience in a managerial role, ideally in an LTC environment
- Current Certificate of Competence with the College of Nurses Ontario as a Registered Nurse
- Policy and program development experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of evidence based clinical practices
- Comprehensive knowledge of long-term care concepts and philosophies
- Excellent knowledge of Legislation to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations
- Knowledge of RAI-MDS – AIS certified, if not must be completed successfully within one (1) year of being hired
- Ability to pass a criminal background check and vulnerable sector screening
- Recent tuberculosis (TB) test, as well as proof of double-vaccination for Covid-19
- Must be able to provide three supervisory references
Applying with Ian Martin
Ian Martin is an established healthcare, IT and engineering hiring firm with over 60 years’ experience connecting talented candidates with meaningful work. When you apply, you’ll get more than just a chance at a great job—you’ll become part of a vast network of employers that are always changing.
We strive to build teams that reflect the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities.
If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org