On behalf of one of North America’s largest natural gas distributors, we are looking for a Cost Engineer in Houston, TX.
· This position will be responsible for providing “Total Cost Control” guidance, governance, and support functions on assigned projects for Authorization for Expenditure components (engineering, procurement, construction, project management, support groups, contingency, escalation, etc.).
· This position will report directly to Supervisor, Project Controls, Core Gas Projects.
· The primary responsibility for this position will be to support the Cost Control.
· The position may also have a supporting role in Schedule Control and other Project Controls Specialist functions.
· Project assignments can range from less than one year / $1MM to multi-year $500+MM.
· Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university, preferably in Business Administration, Engineering or Construction Management.
· Completion of a Certified Cost Engineer (AACE's CCC/ CCE) or Project Management Professional credential (PMP) is preferred.
· Proficient in SAP, EcoSys, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word with proven technical writing abilities.
· 7 to 10 years of experience in performing cost and schedule management and other project controls functions over engineering, procurement, construction components on large capital projects, preferably in the Oil and Gas, Petrochemical, Industrial and/or Power industries.
· Experience in developing, enhancing, and implementing cost and schedule standards.
· Experience in using and enhancing cost controls tools and associated systems.
· Must be able to work with a team dispersed over multiple locations.
· The Cost Control function is responsible for cost controls, invoices, forecasting, and analysing productivity factors and cost/schedule performance indices.
· Also responsible for generating all monthly, bi-monthly, and quarterly reports with intended audiences ranging from local project team members to senior level company executives and the Board of Directors.
Duties / Technical Expertise - Cost Control:
· Provide support to the Project Manager, project team and project cost controls staff on how cost should be planned, tracked, measured, forecasted, and reported during project execution and/or development.
· Monthly review of cost/cash flow forecasts with the Project Manager and extended project team to generate regular reporting requirements.
· Provide timely, accurate and relevant guidance, governance, and support to projects on approved cost controls standards to manage Authorization for Expenditure (AFE) components including External Engineering services, Procurement of Material/Equipment, Construction services, internal cost, Allowance for Funds Used During Construction, Contingency, Escalation, etc.
· Maintain cost and schedule planning, tracking, and reporting tools.
· Provide timely support to the Project Controls Supervisor for monthly review meetings with Senior Management.
· Possess a solid understanding and application of Earned Value Management (EVM) principles and methodology in order to identify, analyse and report cost risks in a timely fashion.
· Monitor project reporting and identify deviations from standard reports.
· Assist project cost controls teams with timely and accurate data gathering and delivery issues.
· Participate and resolve any issues in execution of joint Cost, Schedule, and Risk Health Checks to verify effective planning and implementation of cost processes.
Additional Support Project Controls Role:
Successful candidate is expected to have skills to support other project controls functions as needed including project set up, establishing project baselines, lifecycle gating reviews, schedule/risk analysis, and integration of all project control functions to support effective identification of project risks, issues, and coordination with Project Teams for development of effective mitigation measures