- Job no: 65844
- Category: Allied Health and Medical Science, Medical Technologists
Alfred Health is a leader in health care delivery, improvement, research and education. We are the main provider of health services to people living in the inner southeast suburbs of Melbourne, from ambulatory to inpatient and home and community-based services.
- Ongoing Appointment
- Part Time - 0.4 EFT
- Classification: Grade 4 Medical Scientist (RZ5-RZ7)
- Located at The Alfred
- Great Staff Benefits
Respiratory Medicine has a unique and comprehensive spectrum of expertise in Australia across clinical and basic allergy and advanced adult lung diseases, including severe asthma, emphysema, interstitial lung diseases, sleep apnoea, cystic fibrosis (CF; State Centre of Excellence) and lung transplantation. It comprises of four Clinical Services, supported by the Bronchoscopy Service and the Physiology Service.
The clinical operational structure comprises of:
- Lung Transplant Service
- Cystic Fibrosis Service
- General Respiratory and Sleep Medicine Service
- Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology Service
The Physiology Service, Respiratory Medicine, includes the Lung Function Laboratory and the Home Oxygen Service. The Physiology Service provides respiratory measurement investigation services and assessment of supplementary oxygen requirements for Respiratory Medicine and the wider Alfred Health programs and Victorian community.
- Responsible for the administration and scientific quality activities of the Respiratory Physiology Laboratories, including the day to day quality activities, the standard of testing, development of quality assurance procedures and assessment of equipment
- Collaborate with Head and Deputy Head, Physiology Service to maintain laboratory accreditation and hospital accreditation.
- Assist the Deputy Head in the day to day management of administrative and scientific activities of the Respiratory Physiology Laboratories, including the standard of testing and development of procedures and instrumentation
- Assist in the facilitation of physiological research and development activities in the Lung Function Laboratory, Exercise Laboratory and Oxygen Therapy.
- Initiate research in areas of standardisation of respiratory function testing and oxygen therapy in consultation with Head, Physiology Service as it pertains to quality
- Participation in the teaching and development of education programs in respiratory physiology, pulmonary function testing and oxygen therapy.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Bachelor of Applied Science / Bachelor of Science (or equivalent)
- Certified Respiratory Scientist credential
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in the field of Respiratory Physiology
- A detailed and comprehensive knowledge of respiratory physiology, respiratory physiology measurement and related quality assurance
- A high professional standing in Respiratory Science as evidenced by active memberships of relevant professional associations
- Demonstrated experience in management activities related to the operation of a scientific laboratory; demonstrated experience in ability to initiate and maintain programs consistent with best practice in respiratory physiology measurement and related patient care.
- Higher degree qualifications (masters or doctoral)
- Registration with Australian Council of Clinical Physiologists
- Experience in undergraduate/postgraduate teaching
Experience in research
- Salary Packaging
- Discount Health Insurance
- Staff Parking
- Close Proximity to Publuc Transport
Applications Close: Thursday 21st September 2023
Alfred Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.
In accordance with the Health Minister's Covid-19 Mandatory Vaccination Order, all Alfred Health employees are required to be fully vaccinated (3 doses) for COVID-19 or hold an acceptable medical exemption. Furthermore, in accordance with the Health Services Amendment (Mandatory Vaccination of Healthcare Workers) Act 2020, health care workers in Category A or B roles (as determined by the department’s risk ratings) are required to be vaccinated against influenza or hold an acceptable medical exemption.