- Job no: 983RY
- Hybrid role with WFH options
- Attractive salary + salary packaging
- Rewarding industry with fantastic dynamic team
At Achieve it’s more than just a job. You have the chance to change lives and bring inclusion to life every day.
Our focus is our people; the people we support, and the team we employ, that we value most. We offer a career you can be proud of and a place where you feel safe to be yourself. We invest in our workforce and appreciate the rich diversity they represent of life experience, languages and culture.
Achieve has been providing services to people with disability since the 1950s. Today, we are a registered NDIS provider offering integrated clinical, health, social and disability services in accommodation, community participation, supported employment and support coordination services in the Greater Sydney and in Northern Rivers regions in NSW.
We are driven by our Passion, Purpose and Principles:
· Our Passion is social inclusion for people with disability.
· Our Purpose is to build extraordinary lives, supporting people with disability to be well, have a home, choose a career, learn new skills, participate in their community and enjoy a full life.
· We live by our Principles of inclusiveness, stewardship, extraordinary outcomes and ethical practices.
About the role
This is a full-time role, but consideration will be given to making it a part-time role for the right applicant.
The Legal Counsel reports to the General Counsel and is responsible for providing legal expertise towards commercial decision making and ensuring that all operations of the organisation are compliant with relevant legislation, providing key expertise to manage and address legal risk. The role also involves assisting in developing the legal intellectual capital of the business, developing processes and procedures for the efficient provision of legal advice and mitigating legal risk.
In this role, some of the accountabilities include:
· Reviewing and managing contracts and agreements drafted by external parties dealing with the organisation and identifying and managing legal risks in contracts, operations and claims.
· Identifying, instigating and implementing legal compliance programs for the organisation.
· Providing advice (and oversight of advice provided by internal/external lawyers) on legal and regulatory issues for NDIS regulatory requirements, in particular those relating to the NDIS Quality & Safeguards Commission.
· Participating in escalated Employee Relations resolution and legal advice.
· Researching all legislation affecting the organisation and ensuring that relevant units are informed of new or proposed legislation.
· Provide clarification on legal issues to employees in the organisation and supporting managers to identify and deal with legal risks.
· Developing procedures and training programmes for staff on relevant legal issues.
· Participating with the management team and external advisers in the evaluation, structuring and documentation of future business opportunities.
· Assisting in the management of litigation such as dealing with subpoenas, management of commercial litigation and advice on claims, including those concerning clients, suppliers, competitors and regulators.
· Managing junior legal staff and work placements and supporting and acting for/on behalf of the General Counsel where required.
· Promote the organisation’s values and model behaviours that demonstrate commitment to the organisation’s leadership principles.
· Tertiary qualifications in law.
· Admitted as a solicitor in one or more States in Australia, with at least 5 years legal experience and general commercial law and/or litigation experience
· Strong attention to detail.
· Ability to deliver outcomes and work efficiently with competing deadlines
· While not essential, previous in-house and/or sector experience will be favourably considered.
Why work with us?
We pride ourselves on living our passion, purpose, and principles and bringing inclusion to life for people with disability.
For many of our staff making a real difference to the lives of people with disability and working with a great, supportive teams is its own reward.
We appreciate that but we want our team to know that we value them so offer benefits such as:
· Salary sacrifice options including Fringe Benefits Tax and car leasing
· Access to personal and financial counselling for you and your family
· A range of paid leave and flexible working options
· Support to stay fit and health with fitness memberships and access to wellness programs
How to apply
To register your interest apply online, providing an updated resume and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role. Alternatively you may contact email@example.com for further details.
Pre-employment checks: Achieve Australia is committed to implementing safer recruitment practices. This means we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the people we support and staff are expected to share this commitment. As a result your application may be subject to a number of pre-employment checks; including reference checks, a Police check, NDIS Worker Check. Working with Children check, Right to work in Australia check. Please note criminal history does not immediately effect employment opportunities. Applications will be assessed on merit.