Employed as an Investigations Officer within the Compliance Division at the Department of Finance. I have over 8 years' government administration experience in fleet coordination, business support, revenue collection, real estate, policy, contracts, state tax legislation, compliance and investigatory roles. I'm results-driven with highly developed interpersonal and negotiation skills and I have consistently developed client relationships to support business activities. * Strong problem solving and analytical skills; highly skilled at carrying out investigations that draw upon multiple data sources to identify non-compliance issues in taxation legislation. ; * Excellent research skills with a focus on acquiring detailed information through the use of multiple sources. ; * Significant knowledge of tax legislation; particularly knowledgeable about compliance requirements. ; * Sound awareness of commercial finance; proficient in disseminating financial reports and financial statements to assist with business evaluation. ; * Strong leadership skills and proficient in supervising, guiding and mentoring colleagues, providing education on compliance technicalities, in addition to providing training on processes. * Highly developed interpersonal skills relating effectively to people from diverse cultural backgrounds as well as strong communications skills to consult with people at all levels. * Excellent IT skills; comfortable with using Microsoft Office (plus other software) to thoroughly analyse data and produce detailed reports on key findings.More
- Proactively identifies leads for investigation by reviewing sources including media, tip-offs, word of mouth and intelligence databases.
- Carries out investigations under the provisions of the Taxation Administration Act 2003; Stamp Act 1921; Land Tax Act 2002; Land Tax Assessment Act 2002; Payroll Tax Act 2002; Payroll Tax Assessment Act 2002; First Home Owner Grant Act 2000; Duties Act 2008 and other taxation Acts.
- Delivers reports for each investigation carried out (based upon thorough research and detailed analysis). Responsible for ensuring that each report contains clear final directives for action based upon knowledge of compliance to the relevant statues and legislation.
- Ensures all investigations are completed within a timely manner (that exceeds department KPIs).
- Key team member for targeted project assignments where larger-scale investigations focus on a specific industry. Project work of this nature involves the dissemination of large datasets to identify areas of potential concerns (e.g. dutiable transactions).
- Maintains and updates compliance reports and associated documents using Enterprise DMS.
- Conducts interrogations with professionals from legal, commercial and financial fields regarding tax evasion and avoidance. Ensures all interrogations are carried out fairly in accordance with procedural framework.
- Provides comprehensive advice to tax payers and/or their advisers on problems identified during the investigation process (including advising on the appropriate methods for complying with the legislation and the penalties and duties associated with non-compliance).
- Prepares briefs of evidence for advice and for use in prosecution in addition to preparing statements from key individuals in an investigation.
- Trains new graduates and team members in processes and quality systems used in all aspects of investigations; acts as main point of contact for compliance queries.
- To support business needs I was required to take personal responsibility for managing individual customer needs; provide confidence in building and maintaining positive stakeholder relationships; identify and find solutions to complex administrative problems relevant to the customer and provide excellence in the delivery of customer service.
Business Support Coordinator ( * As the Fleet Coordinator I was the primary contact between the current service provider (Fleet Care), State Fleet and the Departments of Finance and Treasury. I'm responsible for all matters related to motor vehicle fleets for both Departments.More
- Advised departmental officers and Office of State Revenue clients on the correct interpretation of stamp duty legislation, procedures, policies, and rulings.
- Undertook research for complex assessment matters; formulated reports based upon findings.
- Issued assessments and made determinations in regard to complex issues in accordance with stamp duty legislation administered by the Department.
- Identified training requirements relating to legislation and policy aspects, providing guidance to Training Coordinators on suggestions to training content and priorities.
- Regularly presented at training sessions; provided an overview of key processes and legislative guidance.
- Regularly attended the Duties enquiry line (call centre) answering state tax legislation queries from the public.
- Significantly improved processing times; reduced existing turnaround timeframe of 20 days (within a refunds workflow) to within the hour. Received positive feedback for exceeding KPI targets regarding lodgement processing (more than 80% of lodgements were processed within 10 working days).
- Managed & mentored front-end customer service team of up to 15 team members. Provided direction and supervision to the team in addition to allocating duties to ensure customer service standards were maintained.
- Assisted customers with individual requirements; resolved customer concerns in a timely manner.
- Balanced the front end and checkouts at the beginning and the end of day; held responsibility for cash handling and security.
- Co-ordinated staff rosters; ensured adequate staffing for shifts based on sales forecast.
Education and Qualifications
|2012||Certificate IV Government (Statutory Compliance)||Certificate||ETAS Group||No|
|2010||Bachelor of Business - Finance and Human Resource Management||Other||Edith Cowan University||No|
|2000||Certificate III Information Technology||Certificate||West Coast College||No|
- Word (Intermediate)
- Excel (Intermediate)
- Power Point (Intermediate)
- Office (Intermediate)
- Outlook (Intermediate)
- HP Records (Intermediate)
- Enterprise DMS (Intermediate)