With over 25 successful years in CFO and senior management roles I have so much to offer a new employer, with enthusiasm to match!
An innovative action-oriented senior executive with market expertise that spans over 30 years across multiple business groups and environments. Recognised as a strategic partner to the business, and regularly serve as ECM (Executive Committee Member), offering invaluable insight into finance, operational strategies, risk management, commercial decision making and complex financial/market analysis. Expert in assessing and analysing opportunities for investments, M&A and business transformations. Highly effective leader and mentor of large divisions.More
- Full responsibility for the operations of the business
- Brought the business back from substantial losses to a profitable position
- The creation of financial records going back several years in order for the client's tax obligations to be met.
- The analysis and recovery of a failing agricultural business. With the establishment of new income streams the assignment included the development of sales and marketing strategies, physical presentation of the premises and product stocking to suit retail and hospitality businesses. Included in the assignment was the cleanup of the environment in preparation for the redevelopment of the assets and acreage, short and medium term leasing of the asset areas, re-arrangement of the financial affairs of the company and business structures, analysis and revision of the financial records. The monitoring of this business is on-going.
- The review and analysis of the financial records of a sole trader to ensure tax compliance.
- Advising on the structure of a start-up training organisation, the future product portfolio, tax, marketing and sales strategies. ;
Consulting work has been undertaken whilst studying for an MBA to enhance the managerial skills on offer. CONSULTING Assignments undertaken include:More
- Directed the financials, budgets, 3-year to 20-year strategic business plans, board reports, annual reports, quarterly finance report, and full suite of management reports for this AUD$125m operation.
- Served as strategic and financial advisor to Board & Executive Team on implications and risks relating to key business and operational issues, and keeping the organisation advised on a timely basis relative to the financial condition of the organization and on potential impacts relating to change.
- Advisor on a major CAPEX program in which PNG Ports have a projected PGK3b (AUD1.36b) to upgrade existing infrastructure, together with priority allocation, what-if scenarios and asset relocation options.
- Re-designed the management and functional structure of the division's individual operating departments.
- Introduced rolling forecast concepts to Board and Management, thus replacing previously antiquated budgets that had been set two-years prior but were not aligned with renewed company vision.
- Accessed and analysed business performance and cost drivers through a full review and assessment of overhead allocations, activity analysis and project costing across all infrastructure (16 ports), head office and back office functions, with recommendations for improvements to Board.
- Streamlined work process within HR, IT and finance resulting in reduced costs and improved performance.
- Re-built relations with PNG Port's bankers resulting in improved banking facilities and business confidence.
- Held responsibility for 120+ staff, ensuring that the business was properly staffed with qualified and motivated staff across finance, HR, ICT and admin, and effective training was in place for all. ;
PNG Ports is responsible for the provision of harbour and port facilities and the running of 16 ports around the country. The company has a turnover in excess of PGK300m (AUD$125m) , and employs over 800 staff. DIRECTOR OF FINANCE Forms part of the executive team with reporting lines to the CEO and the Board on all aspects of the Finance Division. Key accountability includes; corporate governance and risk management, board reporting, management reports, budgeting and asset management, with responsibility for Finance, Admin, ICT and HR functions.More
- Played a pivotal role in establishing a first-class finance division and creating a culture of transparency and predictability for the group, financial structures and reporting across multiple business lines.
- Managed the production of monthly consolidated pack for CEO, quarterly board reports and annual financials.
- Brought all the business tax affairs up to date, and cleared all outstanding audit issues.
- Developed future financial strategies and led the establishment of annual financial goals for each business, monitoring their ongoing performance against objectives; identifying incipient problems; and initiate appropriate corrective action to keep the units on target against fiscal goals.
- Ensured that operating managers understood the dynamics of their businesses and executing on the key initiatives that will produce revenue and profitability growth; iPi group owns a diverse range of businesses.
- Reviewed multi-million dollar supply contracts, assessed proposed customer contracts, and evaluated investment proposals including new business lines for risk, ROI and alignment to board goals.
- Project managed the selection and deployment of a new IT system hardware to eliminate down-time.
- Provided leadership and direction to a team of 3 Financial Controllers. ;
The iPi Group consists of a diversified business group with interests in commercial catering and janitorial services, transport and logistics specialising in dangerous goods, property development and rental, and retail. The group employs in excess of 650+ staff. GROUP FINANCIAL CONTROLLER Served as a core member of the leadership teams, and accountable for the financial aspects of the business including development of the annual business plan, long-term forecasting, and providing analysis and commentary on the financial impact of operational and strategic initiatives in the company.More
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors, created and executed the business' vision, plan and operational goals across an Australian channel, including full review of key states; QLD, NSW, SA and VIC
- Planned, directed and controlled operational activities to achieve requirements for financial and trading performance, setting the supply chain strategy and maximising supply process to contain costs
- Established and maintained appropriate systems for P&L, budget control and risk including HACCP, whilst ensuring operational activities met with statutory and legislative requirements, legal and insurance stipulations, general duty of care and occupational health & safety concepts.
- Set marketing and advertising agendas including print, media and e-commerce (online).
- Implement policies, procedures, and systems to ensure inventory was purchased at the lowest possible cost.
- Led the recruitment drive behind 10+ staff; establishing a system and culture of accountability to ensure that the entire company understood the Board objectives, priorities, the action steps needed to accomplish these objectives and meet these priorities, the milestones that must be met and when they must be met. ;
Tri-Pies is a manufacturer and distributor of natural food pies, heathy pies and samosas, targeting the school tuckshop and university canteens and supplying to the Australian markets with 10 staff in production and sales. GENERAL MANAGER - Operations & Finance Held full P&L responsibility, this position manages all aspects of operations including; marketing, relationship management, budgeting, cash management, operating procedures, compliance, research, public relations, event management and product development.More
- Oversaw financial accounting and corporate reporting requirements across 7 factories with 3 sales divisions. Led the management of group finances including cash flow, capital expenditure, project requirements, debtor collections, creditor payments which includes a high proportion of foreign creditors.
- Led a team of 20 staff across administration, accounting, human resources and IT, and conducted a full appraisal of the business' MIS system agreeing a system upgrade with project timeframe. ;
Short term assignment Appointed as FC for KK Kingston Ltd, a manufacturer and distributor of chemical, plastic, paper and rotomoulded products for domestic and commercial consumption as well as the retailing of machinery and equipment.More
- Prepared statutory and financial reports including P&L, Balance Sheet, Cashflow and Budgets, re-aligned chart of accounts to provide management with clearer insight into performance and business activity.
- Served as interim CEO during times of major absence.
- Principal liaison between Lions and Trust/Contractors on the $100m redevelopment of the Gabba Stadium, and negotiated lease agreements and payments including the tenancy agreement (valued in excess of $20m over the lease period), sub tenancy agreements, training facilities ($500k) etc.
- Managed the day-to-day finances of the club including the overall accounting function which encompasses the admin, football, social club, marketing, Melbourne office and Football Park operations.
- Oversaw 8 accounting, administration and IT staff with further responsibility for 200+ staff on match days.
The Brisbane Lions AFC is one of the 16 Australian Football clubs comprising the professional level premiership league of the AFL. The club had an annual turnover of approximately $20m and employs a full time staff of 87 and a part time/casual staff of approximately 200. FINANCIAL CONTROLLER & DEPUTY CEO Reported to the Chief Executive of the Brisbane Lions, with further responsibility for maintaining the accounting records and managing the finances of the Queensland State Football League and the Queensland Australian Football CouncilMore
/ Deputy to MD - Plessey Group, 1984 to 1989 (Zimbabwe, Malawi and Tanzania) ;More
- Technology One
- MYOB ;
Education and Qualifications
|2014||Master of Business Administration - Finance||Other||Unknown||No|
|1992||Qualified CA||Other||Institute of Chartered Accountants||No|
|1978||Bachelors Degree - Accountancy||Other||University of Rhodesia||No|
|-||Other||Institute of Chartered Accountants||No|