An IT Business Analyst with excellent core skills experienced across several business domains.
An experienced equities market professional who worked in a team managing portfolios with Quantitative Strategies for eight years. Proven experience with equity research data and systems. An IT Business Analyst with excellent core skills experienced across several business domains.More
- Provide Equity Research forecast data to clients in the form of daily data feeds ;
- Liaise with management in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Mumbai ;
- Address additional ad-hoc client requests ;
- Provide support to Equity Research and Equity Sales/Dealing Staff
- Undertake equity Research Database - ongoing development
- Created a plan that established a process to enable the daily delivery of data feeds to the clients, drawing on previous experience at Perpetual in the Quantitative Investments team to fully understand what a typical client required
- Built a very good relationship with clients and managed their expectations effectively knowing what similar companies could do for them. Nomura Australia was considered a ``Start-Up'' and not a mature business in Australia
- Established a good working relationship with the developers in Mumbai allowing access to developer resources when required and providing a source of reference for technology at Nomura
- Established a new data feed delivery process (Agile environment)
- Mapped the clients' requirements to items in data base and created corresponding specifications for the developers
- Created a prototype for each data feed in Excel for the client to ensure client requirements were met
- Created test plan and cases for each project and calculated expected values. Executed test cases and logged any issues via JIRA
- Successfully worked with colleagues in different time-zones
- Maintained all project documentation in Sharepoint to ensure version control
- Signed-off on each data feed project ;
- Successfully established and implemented 14 data feeds ;
- Received tags from happy clients on many occasions, i.e. a clients' promise to trade with us for a fixed dollar value
- Successfully lobbied to separate Australian models from the other regional models in the database. This made it easier to implement changes to the data base field items for Australian clients
- Represented Australian analysts when Nomura world-wide consensus was required with regard to the data base upload function. Ensure understanding of what analysts wanted then participated in the negotiation which involved representatives from other regions
- Set up jobs/macros accessing database in Tokyo for clients and internal staff
- Using time-series consensus market data from Factset and/or Bloomberg, created various ad-hoc reports/jobs for clients and internal staff - especially market P/Es which the stock analysts used as benchmarks for their forecasts
Nomura Australia Limited Oct 11 - Jul 13 Database Analyst (Front of Office Role in Equity Research ) (Client facing Senior Business Analyst role in Equity Research) This new role was created within the Equity Research Department to design, implement and run an efficient and accurate process which would provide equity research forecast data to Asset Managers with quantitative strategies. Key Responsibilities Key AchievementsMore
- Day to day management of the portfolios. Facilitate any necessary trades to ensure compliance with Investment Management Agreements.
- Assist with Mandate reviews including how rules are implemented in the system.
- Pre-empt any issues e.g. overdraft that may arise before it gets to the custodian
- Investigate any actual administrative/custodial issues/breaches.
- Ensure portfolio is almost fully invested in Equity. ;
- Assist with decision to re-balance.
- Assist with Quantitative Research. ;
- Calculate performance/attribution of portfolios. ;
- Broker panel maintenance. ;
- Assist in preparation of business case for any new software. ;
- Ad-hoc jobs as required.
- Established good relationships with team, Investment Admin, dealers and other fund managers, the CIO, back office and custodians. Also with our panel of brokers.
- Set up a spreadsheet/dashboard across all portfolios including portfolio efficiency and factor exposure to assist in the portfolio re-balance decision. Facilitated weekly team meetings
- Created a spreadsheet which gauged cash positions across portfolios. Ran this daily and notified portfolio manager and team of the situation for each portfolio
- Managed cash creep by buying/selling spi futures to ensure maximum equity exposure with enough cash to cover margin calls, dividend liabilities and other known liabilities
- Mitigated risk of cash creep and risk of overdraft ;
- Created a spreadsheet containing the Investment Management Agreement rules for each portfolio
- Mitigated risk of breaches ensuring that if something was non-compliant during trading day it was addressed, i.e. facilitate a trade
- This spreadsheet also helped to perform pre-trade and post-trade compliance whenever re-balancing the portfolios
- Assisted in the analysis of corporate actions and potential impact on portfolios should we take them up
- Produced a document covering many types of corporate actions and how they impact short sold shares in order to alleviate confusion among investment admin staff
- Kept track of brokers which gave best prices or advice, guiding who to give priority to when next we re-balanced our portfolios
- Created monthly benchmark portfolios as one gauge of value-add of portfolio manager over and above the model
- Assisted to on-board new portfolios and shut down portfolios exiting strategy
- Assisted in cost/benefit analysis for software upgrades and new software, successfully
Perpetual Investments Nov 02 - Nov 10 Quantitative Analyst (Front of Office Role - Portfolio Management / Quantitative Investments) Worked in a team which managed Australian Equity portfolios using various Quantitative Strategies. This role was a hybrid of Front of Office and Investment Admin which sat in the Investments Team, allowing me to take action while the market was open in order to prevent any breaches. Key Responsibilities Key Achievements tested system for upgrades/changesMore
- Assist in the development of an in-house built system for the Asset Management Team which stored data and created reports. (Full SDLC)
- Document business processes as required ;
- Assist in the upgrade of the Client Relationship Management (CRM) system for the Sales Department
- Assist in the upgrade of the Mortgage system for the Mortgage Department
- Participated in an in-house project which successfully designed, developed and implemented a system from inception using full SDLC. The system housed data from various sources.
- Improved the process by which the Quantitative Analyst stored portfolio data, making best use of existing systems.
- Assisted the Quantitative Analyst with the creation of new products, i.e.the ethical portfolio and long/short portfolio which were 100% Australian equities. These products were originally designed using Barra Optimisation.
- Documented how the Tactical Asset Allocation (TAA) portfolio manager calculated profit/loss from spi and bond futures trades with a view to automating this process
- Worked with the developer to create a solution which was a GUI interface sitting on an Access database . Implemented and created the User Help document
- Became back-up for the portfolio manager in running TAA model while he was on leave
- Due to sensitive staff issues discreetly documented key processes within the Mortgage Department. There was no existing system to leverage from
- Created a requirements document ;
- Created a Request For Information (RFI) and sent it to a few vendors
- Arranged for interested vendors to come in and present their systems
- Upon selecting a system, liaised with Information Technology Department to understand how it would be implemented into current system environment and brought this information to the project team.
- Documented the business process of the Unit Pricing Area for management
- Assisted in the CRM upgrade. Documented what the existing system capabilities were and then met with various Sales staff to get an understanding of their expectations in order to identify shortfalls. Spoke to another department which also used a CRM system
- Created a requirements document ;
- Created a Request For Information (RFI) document for the better known third-party vendors of CRM systems then set up demonstrations to see which one came closest to the requirements.
(Information Technology - Domain: Portfolio Management) Worked within a team of Project Managers and Business Analysts which sat between the various business units and the Information Technology Department. The bigger part of the team was allocated to unit registry and superannuation systems. This role worked on anything else. Key Responsibilities Key AchievementsMore
(Information Technology- Domain: Superannuation )More
(Information Technology- Domain: Superannuation )More
Referees available upon requestMore
(Personal Business Insurance and Superannuation)More
Education and Qualifications
|2004||Graduate Diploma - Applied Finance and Investment||Postgraduate Diploma||Financial Services Institute of Australia (Finsia)||No|
|1984||Bachelor of Mathematics||Bachelor Degree||University of Wollongong||No|